Can you 1031 properties in different states?

Can you 1031 properties in different states?

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 6 votes

I’ve read some great information in the forums on 1031 exchanges, but have not found an answer to a question that I have. As I begin thinking of investing in real estate in other states, I’m wondering if I can make 1031 exchanges to sell properties in one state and buy property in another.  I would think that is acceptable but thought I’d ask those of you who already know.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

William

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y

Yes. Any US state and a couple other areas. (Guam and Puerto Rico maybe? The USVI?) not sure about the other areas but any state to or from is fine. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Yes. Any US state and a couple other areas. (Guam and Puerto Rico maybe? The USVI?) not sure about the other areas but any state to or from is fine. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thank you!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @William Martin You can 1031 any US investment property for ay other US investment property including certain US territories like @Bill B. said Guam. USVI, Marianas islands but sadly not Puerto Rico.  

    As a us taxpayer you can ask exchange non US property for non US property.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks for the add on Dave. I did not know about the non-us for non-us exchange. Learn something every day. 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Bill B. as an add on service for no charge I attend all USVI closings personally!  Just good customer service!!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.