Does anybody use their retirement account for real estate?

Does anybody use their retirement account for real estate?

Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 631 votes

I'd like to hear any feedback, questions, or concerns that people have on this matter.

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Yes, I use my SDIRA to invest in syndicated multifamily and self storage. Concerns include making sure I stay in compliance with the SDIRA's requirements, in addition to typical concerns of making sure my investments earn a good return!

In my opinion, syndications are better than turnkeys or single families for SDIRA account investing because syndications are very, very passive. Therefore there's less risk of self-dealing and breaking the rules.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Yes, I use my SDIRA to invest in syndicated multifamily and self storage. Concerns include making sure I stay in compliance with the SDIRA's requirements, in addition to typical concerns of making sure my investments earn a good return!

    In my opinion, syndications are better than turnkeys or single families for SDIRA account investing because syndications are very, very passive. Therefore there's less risk of self-dealing and breaking the rules.

  • Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 631 votes
    7y

    Thanks for your reply Taylor.  My partners and I syndicate multifamily deals and we're looking to start working with people that want to invest in them using their retirement accounts.  Are you looking to invest in any more deals currently?  If so, we should connect further to discuss it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Charles Seaman

    There are various types of self-directed retirement accounts, such as but not limited to solo401k, SDIRA with custodian checkbook IRA. Depending on the account type there're different requirements to be eligible and to maintain one or the other. Also, there're potential tax consequences via UBIT depending on the retirement account type and the investment made. I suggest you educate yourself on these topics first. There's a ton posted here on BP and then directly on the SDIRA companies' sites.

  • Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 631 votes
    7y

    @Alina Trigub Thanks for the feedback.  I'm definitely working to educate myself on this matter and will start by checking out some of the content here on BP.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y

    @Charles Seaman all the time.

    I'm no expert (or even novice) on the matter. I'd reach out to one of the many custodians that help you with this and ask them questions. You're not obligated to do business with them (though of course they will try to get your business) by just calling and asking some questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.