Should I refinance to pull cash out and buy another property

Should I refinance to pull cash out and buy another property

Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes

Hi BP, I'm new to this forum and have found it to be very useful so far. I am seeking some advice on refinancing two properties I've owned for about two years. Each SFR was purchased for $155k (20% down) and cash flow between $325 and $425 respectively each month. The value of the homes has gone up significantly in the time since we bought them. They are currently worth roughly $190k. I have been thinking about refinancing to pull some cash out to find another property. Current loan interest rates are 5.375 and we have the option to bring them down to ~4.5% since rates have dropped so much over the last year. From my calculations I can walk away with about 16-18k for each property (leaving 75%LTV) and only reduce the cash flow about $150 a month each. Do you think this is a wise choice? With the extra ~35k I can find two condos and cash flow a couple hundred bucks to make up the lost cash from these homes. It seems logical, but is this over-extending? Any advice would be appreciated.

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Josh Darley I would most definitely do a cash out refinance provided that your cash flow is still healthy enough including maintenance and CapEx reserves. I also would think through how long your hold period is. If you plan on holding them for over five years, then it totally makes sense to pull the cash out. Your tenants will be paying for the higher mortgage payment anyways, so get the cash now and redeploy it to grow your portfolio.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @John Warren

    Thanks John. On paper it all makes sense.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.