What would you tell your younger self about REI?

What would you tell your younger self about REI?

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 16 votes

If you could rewind time, what advice/tips would you give your younger self as you were getting started investing in real estate?

I'll start with one of my own: don't go for those super cheap properties located in bad areas. The cap rate/cash flow are tantalizing but you will pay for it at some point (most likely during turns). In the long run, you'll be probably be better off and have less headaches if you go with something just a little bit more expensive that is in even a slightly better neighborhood. 

1Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 185 posts · 105 votes
7y

Get started sooner! I wish I would have spent a bit less time reading and researching and more time getting hands on experience with mentors, partners or buying my own deals.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 185 posts · 105 votes
    7y

    Get started sooner! I wish I would have spent a bit less time reading and researching and more time getting hands on experience with mentors, partners or buying my own deals.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    7y
    Start sooner! I'm 24 now and I know I have plenty of time, but I wish I would have gotten started at 18! If I could go back and give my 16 year old self 5 tips it would be:
    1. Get on BP.
    2. Read rich dad, poor dad, and The millionaire real estate investor
    3. Get your real estate license when you turn 18
    4. Save all you can now
    5. Don't be afraid to jump into something
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 16 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Nacco:
    Start sooner! I'm 24 now and I know I have plenty of time, but I wish I would have gotten started at 18! If I could go back and give my 16 year old self 5 tips it would be:
    1. Get on BP.
    2. Read rich dad, poor dad, and The millionaire real estate investor
    3. Get your real estate license when you turn 18
    4. Save all you can now
    5. Don't be afraid to jump into something

    Thanks David! Start sooner seems to be the most common one :)

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 171 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Get a mentor! There's no better way to learn than from someone who has already been in your shoes. What mistakes did they make when they were starting? What would they have done differently? This will help you form your own journey. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.