How to get owner occupant loan if target is already leased?

How to get owner occupant loan if target is already leased?

Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 32 votes

I live in a (relatively)expensive area, so coming in with 5% down and a little PMI is reasonable for me, but 20% down or more would just be a waiting game. Once I'm in I would house hack and make it work.

There are a lot of options with withdrawn properties that have been put back up for rent. This seems like an ideal way to find targets for off-market deals... you already know they want to sell. I could approach the seller after "holdover" with an offer ~5% less than list and it'd still net them the same as their list price(which they didn't even get, so perhaps lowball a little more).

But, since they've been rented again through July 31, how do I satisfy the owner-occupancy requirements? 

1. Go under contract, then negotiate an option contract with the tenants; if I close on the house, I get to give them a free month and then their lease ends.
2. Same, but try to directly buy them out?
3. Also same, but you offer $100, $200, $500 upfront just to sign the option, so if the house doesn't close they still make a quick buck?

What are the time limits with beginning the owner occupant loan? E.g. if I close July 25 and the tenants' lease ends July 31, then I could move in, and it seems to me like my intent lines up with my stated direction.

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I'm not sure why you are negotiating an option contract, most of the time you just tell escrow that property is to be delivered vacant and your escrow is 30-60 days whatever is required in your state.  Generally a better strategy would be to target these properties before they are re-rented so that you don't have to deal with any of the hassle.

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    The option contract would be negotiated between the buyer and the current tenants. So that the buyer can force the tenants to vacate.

    Of course it would be better to get the properties before they are re-rented like you said. But that's not always the way the cookie crumbles.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.