Seller refuses to work with anyone who has a real estate agent

8 Replies

My mom and stepdad are trying to buy a home closer to my location. I found one listed that is about 5 minutes from me that is a FSBO property. Her real estate agent called to see about us looking at the home and the homeowners said they would not work with anyone using a realtor. She stated she'd be willing to cover any fees regarding her realtor but seller still refuses. Any guess as to why?

Account Closed beat me to it. People who sell FSBO often want more than their property is worth.

Our realtor says the property is listed about 15k over. They are doing a VA loan and I believe an inspection and appraisal are requirements. My thoughts are either they are asking too much or trying to hide something. I'm a little leery and advised her to stick with her realtor and maybe look elsewhere.

About 90% of fsbos end up listing with an agent eventually. Just wait til that happens.

In my market FSBOs are priced about 110% of comparable Realtor listed MLS properties. They also sit on the market an average of 3x as long as a Realtor listed property.

Usually FSBOs want more then their home is worth, and want to save the 3%-6%, or are trying to hide things on disclosures.

They want to do battle with inexperienced buyers.

They are often inexperienced in transactions, and in their desire to save a few % on listing commission, they end up getting out negotiated by experienced agents and lose a lot more.

Stepping over dollars to pick up nickels, as it were. 

Originally posted by @Kristina Clifton :

My mom and stepdad are trying to buy a home closer to my location. I found one listed that is about 5 minutes from me that is a FSBO property. Her real estate agent called to see about us looking at the home and the homeowners said they would not work with anyone using a realtor. She stated she'd be willing to cover any fees regarding her realtor but seller still refuses. Any guess as to why?

They are in no hurry to sell and assume an agent will cost them money. I would submit a written offer for their asking amount and see what happens.

One other and less obvious possibility is that they don't actually own the property or don't have clear title and want to use quit claim deeds instead of a warranty deed and sell without title insurance so their scheme isn't discovered.