Advice on Selling Investment Property vs Not??

Advice on Selling Investment Property vs Not??

Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
Hi there. I USED to be a decently successful investor (until 4 internationally adopted kids turned my world inside out!!). However, I have not been 'active' in almost a decade and am not only unsure of myself, but also I know the environment (and therefore 'rules', if you will) have changed significantly.  I have a question related to one of the 2 investment properties left in our portfolio....here are what I would consider the relevant background details:

- We are a family of 6 (me-46, husband-55, 4 tween/young teens) and we lost everything in 2008-10 including all we had for our retirement plans
- We currently own 2 4-plexes; 13 yrs left on mortgages; very minimal cash flow now, but no out of pocket expenses either
- Our plan has been to keep those 2 4-plexes knowing than when mortgages are paid off, the cash flow will at least keep us out of working at Walmart as senior citizens!
- Our plan is to purchase additional multi-family investment properties as soon as we are able to expand our portfolio as that will be our only shot at a decent retirement....based on our ages, however, that will have to be done quickly and with 10 year loans which means we will need LOTS of money for down-payments....I homeschool our 4 kids (3 with special learning issues) and my husband is trying to build a new business after the one he owned/ran for over 12 years died a couple of years ago....could easily be 5 more months before we see any income so at the moment, conventional financing is not going to happen for us

Here is my question: I was recently contacted by an investor who wants to purchase one of the 4-plexes.  SHOULD WE SELL?  My fear in doing so is that getting into something now with as much equity or at today's values will NOT be easy (probably worth about $600k, mortgage at about $200k) and we will end up selling off half of what MIGHT be our entire retirement!
The reason I am considering it however, is that I am wondering if we could (despite no income at the moment and therefore no option for traditional financing) leverage the proceeds into something bigger/more units, that would be better for us given our circumstances??

I have heard SO MANY TIMES that everyone who sells regrets it later and I feel like I am trying to get back in the game SO late in life in terms of the number of years left before we will want/need to have a retirement in place....and just not sure I am even thinking about this right or completely.  

Any insight or respectful advice would be much appreciated and welcomed.  Thanks so much in advance. 



0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

Do not sell. Wait until you are better situated financially to buy more, but keep what you have!!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I’m also a homeschooling mom...only have 3 kids, but it is still plenty.  I decided to sell a set of properties in Texas last year.  These were joined units, sort of like a duplex, but on two loans, two deeds.  Not that it mattered for this discussion.  :D 

    We bought them brand new in about 2012 and they’d been steadily occupied.  The property taxes were getting out of hand, and we were just starting to get more maintenance calls.  We got about $100k over what we paid, and then had to send the agent his commission of about $13k.  And then the tax hit.  Depreciation recapture.  Oh yes, the tax bill.  And because we didn’t tell our money where to go, it seems to have gone.  Well, I did buy two properties that are closer to our house; one of these I turned into a vacation rental. 

    As an aside, this vacation rental has worked really well for me and the kids.  They have helped me to get it decorated, particularly the kids’ room, at Target. We have had creative discussions about other business ideas that can be paired with this one, such as the need for photography...so we thought to place business cards for my photographer friend at my Welcome Desk.  My youngest daughter wanted to bake cookies for the guests (we haven’t done that), wedding parties, makeup such as Mary Kay or Monat offerings, as some of our brainstorming. I’m using the funds in and expenses out for spreadsheet lessons. On the days when our cleaning crew isn’t able to, we do the laundry and cleaning and pay ourselves the cleaning fee ($120 each clean).

    So that was something we did, without an advance plan to engage the kids in business...and it is doing well for my homeschooling crew.  I’m not suggesting that you do this, necessarily, but I am suggesting that you tell your money where to go. And also to prepare for the tax bill and possible real estate commission that is likely going to come your way if you do sell. I’m sure you remember that you can do a 1031 exchange, where you do a “like kind exchange.”  This takes more time and planning, but would save on that onerous tax bill.

    All the best to you! Stick around and refresh yourself on the newest in real estate!  Your kids, like mine, are old enough to learn some great lessons by having experience with rentals. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Do not sell. Wait until you are better situated financially to buy more, but keep what you have!!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Laura MacDonald, Preparation is the key to great investing.  If you're not prepared on all fronts you're going to be chasing the market and solutions.  And overextension and no contingency preparation is what caused 99% of the losses in 08.  You're in good shape.  The investor will be there tomorrow.  Prepare now so your exposure is less (husbands job) and then look at doing something.

    When you do sell take advantage of the 1031 exchange to shift your holdings and increase cash flow without paying tax on the profit from the sales.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Kerry Baird, I adore your "family business" model soooooo much!!!!!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster, thanks! 

    If nothing else, they’ll know how to make hospital corners! 😂 

  • Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Kerry Baird "Hello!" to another homeschooling mom of too many kids! :). Thanks for your reply....I love what you have done in terms of the business with the vacation rental that is exposing your kids to the ins-and-outs of property ownership and management! That is awesome.  Thank you also for sharing your experience with selling.....I believe you and @Dave Foster are absolutely right.....I need to take the time to plan and look into a 1031Exchange.  Thank you both for taking the time to respond...it is much appreciated!  

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    Question: why 10 year loans? That's going to be principal and interest heavy, where you will be lucky to not have negative cash-flow during that 10 years. You can always early-pay on a 30 year loan. If you are thinking "because we don't want to have any loans at 65", that's simple - save all the cash flow and pay in one lump sum if you are financially set at 65. Yes, you'll pay a little more interest (and get a little more tax benefit at the same time) but you will maintain maximum flexibility at at time when interest rates are at record lows. 

    As for selling, no good way to answer. If the 4 plex is loaded with equity, and you got the loans 17 years ago, you must have a pretty high (relatively speaking) interest rate. If they can make good cash flow and there's a lot of equity locked in, cash-out refinance and use the proceeds to buy another investment property. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @JDMartin Thank you for your response and the perspective. You are right regarding the 10-year loans, and right again in terms of the reason for that line of thinking.  I need to get my head back 'in the game' but am having a hard time doing so.  If you were ever open to a quick 15 minute chat (or knew of anyone who might be?) just to bounce ideas around based on my current circumstances, it would be much appreciated.  Not looking for a paid group-training type thing....more just a friend/mentor in the industry who is further along than I am.  When I started in the industry (about 15 years ago!), i shadowed a few successful guys and offered my help to do any of their legwork/research/etc for free, and learned a TON that way.  Just hoping to get a few minutes with someone 'in the thick of it' to bounce some thoughts around.  Thanks again for your time responding and hope you are enjoying the holidays.  Laura

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.