Denver County: Splitting Duplex into 2 Single Family or Rowhomes

Denver County: Splitting Duplex into 2 Single Family or Rowhomes

Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

I'm looking for information regarding splitting a front/back duplex in Denver County. The duplex is zoned as E-SU-D1, but the property type is listed as "RESIDENTIAL DUPLEX" and has two different address numbers. It's a front-back duplex with a total of about 1500 sf between the two units. 

I've seen a number of duplexes in the neighborhood with nearly the same layout that are split on the parcel map and listed as "RESIDENTIAL ROWHOMES". So, I'm curious if anyone knows the process and legalities behind doing this?

I've been trying to contact the zoning department, although they've not been particularly responsive. If you have any tips for how to get a hold of them, that would help too haha.

Thanks,

Kevin

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
6y

Yes, and yes all that is right. #2 may not be needed. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    6y

    You'll need to get a survey to get a new legal description and go through Denvers process:

     https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/assessors-office/documents/Real_Property/Request_Parcel_Split-Comb.pdf

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Kyle Doney, do you have experience with the whole process? I've see a few similar posts on BP and it sounds as though the process is:

    1. Survey

    2. Improvements to bring separation wall up to code. 

    This is what I'm most interested in, I've seen people mention requiring improvements to new fire code, separation of attic space, ect. If anyone has any information or experience in this area, please share.

    3. Lawyers: New legal descriptions and party wall agreement. I imagine this would be a relatively straight forward process for an experienced real estate attorney, but still fairly costly

    4. Split with the city assessor's office

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    6y

    Yes, and yes all that is right. #2 may not be needed. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Kyle Doney Reviving an old thread here, but going through the same process with a side-by-side duplex. I think the big question is, how does this look when selling? Does the land convey with the half duplex? Zoning dept. says we don't need to do a ZLA, but from what I have seen, the lots generally get split, even if they're not conforming zone lots. I just keep getting pointed in a circle from the Assessor's Office to the Zoning Department. @Kevin Grasse

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.