To sell or not to sell, that is the question

To sell or not to sell, that is the question

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I have a house that was my primary residence that I moved out of about 2 years ago. My plan was to sell it before 3 years to avoid capital gains taxes. I have been renting it out during this time, and the current rent is $3200/month. The house is fully paid for, and don't have a mortgage. I bought it for $500K initially, and I could probably sell it for $800K this next year. (It's been a super hot market here in Salt Lake City the last few years.) 

I'm now thinking of keeping it as a long term rental instead, but I'm having a tough time deciding. After looking at what I might pay in capital gains taxes and depreciation recapture taxes, when I do sell it in the future, I'm not totally sold it's worth hanging on to it. 

If I do keep it, I've thought about doing a cash out refinance to get some of the equity to buy a couple more properties, and remodel my current primary residence. 

I do also have two other SFH rentals as well already.

So, better to sell now and avoid capitals gains, or hang on to it as a long term rental, and pay taxes later?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1Reply
21 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Newburgh, NY · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    6y
    I would sell now. It is pretty easy to find properties that will cash flow a lot more than $40k gross a year if you have $800k to play with.
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    You’ll save $45k in Capital gains Tax minimum (If you’re other income is low, otherwise more) plus possible Obamacare 3.5% in the future by selling. Is there any chance in the world you would buy this as a rental if you had $800k in your pocket? I doubt it. Buy a $400k rental with just your profits, or buy two if you’re all in. 

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 182 votes
    6y

    I would sell within the 3 additional years after moving to avoid capital gains. I personally would buy multiple properties highly leveraged then use some cash to flip or use as a hard money lender. So many options with $800,000 

    I agree with @Shawn Jackson ! You could make your money work harder for you. You should be making far more than $40,000 a year with $800,000 working for you. 

  • Greg KellPro Member
    Greencastle, PA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Sell and reinvest the funds.

  • Ryan HooverBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 82 votes
    6y

    @Scott Hanson

    I agree with what others have said, if you wouldn’t have purchased this property to be an investment in the first place, don’t try to force it to fit the mold. Plus saving the capital gains is a huge benefit as well. Take your profits and reinvest.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 434 posts · 248 votes
    6y

    Sell, all day long.  Reinvest it later if you want to.  That is a massive loophole in the system, take advantage of it

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.