$22k newbie not wanting to borrow money

$22k newbie not wanting to borrow money

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I have about $22k and I don't want to use a lender.  Should I try to invest now or wait till I can save more?  Where should I look for deals?

- in Bexar Co. TX

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 155 posts · 76 votes
6y

With 22k I would recommend getting in touch with a few Hard Money Lenders, Private Lenders, or forming partnerships with people and leverage each other. You can do this by attending meetups in San Antonio. 

Buying a home all cash does not make much sense to me unless you have a ton of it. For one, you will be married to that house and that house only until you sell it. What happens if something goes wrong and all your cash is tied up? Second, the opportunity cost of waiting around until you have 200k is tremendous. You won't be able to do a single deal for years if you are on a fixed income.

Debt is not a bad thing when using it to make money. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with a few Hard Money Lenders I deal with daily. 

Have you thought about doing a few wholesale deals to gain quick capital, then move into flipping / rentals?

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Crossville, TN · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Tia Redford

    I definitely see the advantages of both sides but If you wait until you can pay for a property in full you will be wasting a lot of time saving your own money when you could be saving someone else’s money (rent). If you will use a lenders money and leverage that you will see a lot better returns than if you wait to pay in full. Just my 2cents!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I agree!  Do not wait.  Leverage with debt and get on with it!  Using all cash is a waste of cash, and then you are paralyzed until youre able to save up alot more cash.  

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 865 posts · 351 votes
    6y

    @Tia Redford please include what areas you would like to buy in. That would make a difference in the advice people offer. :)

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks y'all.  I'm in San Antonio, TX.

    I had another non-real estate investment (a franchise) that failed miserably and put me in a lot of debt.  It has taken my hubby and I 7 years to get out of debt and save the money we have to invest again.  We are so afraid of getting into debt again.  

    I've been giving it some thought, and I can get a second mortgage on my house and get a bit more $ if I have to.  Totalling 50k.

    Should I start at a tax auction or a really crummy low-cost house from a wholesaler?  We have skills for cosmetic work(installing floors, new cabinets, etc) only.  I don't want to deal with major issues.

  • New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I am new to BP and REI as well in the San Antonio area. I would also be interested in what areas you are looking in/around San Antonio and would like to connect if you are amenable as another resource in San Antonio. Perhaps we could even work something together. I am conservative by nature, but love repair/rehab and just retired from the military, hence why I am now on BP. Welcome!

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 155 posts · 76 votes
    6y

    With 22k I would recommend getting in touch with a few Hard Money Lenders, Private Lenders, or forming partnerships with people and leverage each other. You can do this by attending meetups in San Antonio. 

    Buying a home all cash does not make much sense to me unless you have a ton of it. For one, you will be married to that house and that house only until you sell it. What happens if something goes wrong and all your cash is tied up? Second, the opportunity cost of waiting around until you have 200k is tremendous. You won't be able to do a single deal for years if you are on a fixed income.

    Debt is not a bad thing when using it to make money. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with a few Hard Money Lenders I deal with daily. 

    Have you thought about doing a few wholesale deals to gain quick capital, then move into flipping / rentals?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Tia Redford  I would wait.  Look at the type of house you are going to get for $22K in your area and then think about the type of tenant it would attract.  A lot of times the cheaper homes have higher return, but higher risk.  Based on what you said, I'm going to guess you are a bit more risk adverse (which is fine).  Look for a solid starter type home.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Anything that's worth your time and money in San Antonio, TX is going to be expensive. I think most people can agree with that statement. 

    $22K sounds like the perfect amount for a rehab on a small SFH, or a fat down payment. If you locate a DEAL someone has money to help you purchase it. When you know the neighborhood, ARV's, estimated costs for rehab, expected rent, it becomes a no brainer. If you wait to save more cash you're wasting time. We don't have loans for TIME.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.