Need Guidance: Selling home to tenent without an Agent

Need Guidance: Selling home to tenent without an Agent

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello,

I'm sure the info I need is somewhere on these forums, but I've been unable to locate it. I own a single family home in North Carolina, and I've had the same tenant in the home since 2013. They've been great tenants and have always paid on time. I would like to sell the home to them, and I'd rather not have to pay an agent to save on the fees, but I'd like to get some advice from this experienced group. Here are my questions.

1. My tenant is sell employed, has good credit, but needs to consolidate debt in order to get a mortgage pre-approval. As mentioned, they have always paid rent on time, and a mortgage payment will be much cheaper than the rent they have paid, can I provide a lender any type of statement or document showing they've made timely payments, or would a lender see this as a conflict of interest, seeing as I own the property?

2. I need a title company and a lawyer I'm assuming if I do not use a realtor, are there any other agencies I need to reach out to, and what is the best way to locate reputable companies?

3. What types of costs should I expect with not using a realtor, is it worth the savings try and do this myself? What other costs should I consider?

I'm sure there is way more for me to ask, I welcome any advice and education. Thank you.

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I would find someone (agent and/or title company) that is experienced in owner finance or lease option sales. I would structure it as a lease with option to purchase. You could do a 3-5 year option period where they can start working on getting their credit together now and then when the lease option comes up, they can purchase the home using a traditional mortgage. Typically a lender won't care about their payment history unless it is reported on their credit. They are going to be more concerned with debt/income ratio. 

    Agent fees are 100% negotiable, so it might be worth it to find someone that is very experienced in owner finance and lease options (do not go with your average retail agent) that is willing to work with you for a flat rate. It would probably be worthwhile to pay someone that is experienced in the process. You could also find a title company to help you, but again you'll want to vet them and make sure they are experienced in this process. If your tenant is in the position to buy sooner rather than later, then you may be able to skip to lease option all together and go straight to a title company or lender and they can recommend the other parties that you will need. (ask around on BP for recommendations). 

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 958 votes
    6y

    @Harrison Sumerall are you trying to sell this to them via owner financing?  If not, then it is up to the tenant to get their approval and mortgage from the bank.  You just need to agree upon a sale price with the tenant.

    If a letter from you, and statements of their payments would help the bank give them a loan, then I see no reason to not provide it to the bank, just make sure it is sent directly to the bank, and not via the tenant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.