Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes

Need Guidance: Selling home to tenent without an Agent

Posted Jan 17 2020, 10:32

Hello,

I'm sure the info I need is somewhere on these forums, but I've been unable to locate it. I own a single family home in North Carolina, and I've had the same tenant in the home since 2013. They've been great tenants and have always paid on time. I would like to sell the home to them, and I'd rather not have to pay an agent to save on the fees, but I'd like to get some advice from this experienced group. Here are my questions.

1. My tenant is sell employed, has good credit, but needs to consolidate debt in order to get a mortgage pre-approval. As mentioned, they have always paid rent on time, and a mortgage payment will be much cheaper than the rent they have paid, can I provide a lender any type of statement or document showing they've made timely payments, or would a lender see this as a conflict of interest, seeing as I own the property?

2. I need a title company and a lawyer I'm assuming if I do not use a realtor, are there any other agencies I need to reach out to, and what is the best way to locate reputable companies?

3. What types of costs should I expect with not using a realtor, is it worth the savings try and do this myself? What other costs should I consider?

I'm sure there is way more for me to ask, I welcome any advice and education. Thank you.

Loading replies...