Cash flow rental area and property manager recommendations

Cash flow rental area and property manager recommendations

Investor · San Bruno, CA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 22 votes

Hi I’m looking to buy 2 rental properties. Under 70k each. Midwest seems to be a popular market..but just Midwest in general is kind of vague..so I’m trying to come up with some practice areas to look to buy the properties.

What would be an practical cost/ cash flow annually ratio to decide if an area is worth investing. I’m thinking more than 7 or 8% at least, because currently it’s quite easily to get more than that amount investing in stock markets( but everything is overvalued and market correction will happen). So I’m ok with lower return on investment than buying stocks since it will be more stable in the long run. But I’m not quite sure what is the right ratio to seem for.

My goal is to have 2 rental properties out of state, and one one property in Bay Area to start with. I’m looking for them in parallel, but will purchase the one in Bay Area first because I quality for first time home buyer, and makes more sense using this opportunity for low down payment for the most expensive investment.

I’m looking for agents both in Bay Area and out of state. Please contact me if you are an agent with clients who house hack in Bay Area or purchased out of state properties. And get in touch if you know reliable property managers. Thank you so much.

Sorry for this long rant of a post. My main goal it’s to get an idea of what’s a good income/cost ratio, and find agents for Bay Area (primary residence) and out of state rental properties..

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    6y

    I'm slightly confused about the metrics you're asking about, first is GRM and then cap rate/COC. Anyways sounds like you're mostly asking cap rate. I think here you want to be specific about property and location. Cap rate is used for >4 units while comps are used for <4. If you want to use cap rate for <4, may be inaccurate, but you might expect 6-8% depending on area with 9% and up if area is rough and you're willing to get creative with your deal. Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago etc will are equity markets similar to costal cities, while other midwestern markets are good for cash flow. Check out Marcus & millichap North American investment forecast for some info on good markets.

    Sounds like a good idea about tapping into equity with a low DP option in CA, if that where you want to con't living, though if you plan to make this property a rental I'd make sure the numbers make sense before buying. To find a decent midwestern property, I think you'll be taking a major risk unless you spend 1-3wks in a city to feel the pulse of the local market & do some team building. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.