R3 Zone in El Segundo Less than 4000 sq ft lot

R3 Zone in El Segundo Less than 4000 sq ft lot

Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes

My partner just got a R3 zones lot in El Segundo but the lot is less than 4000 sqft, it has just one unit now but he wants to build 3 additional units. Is that possible? Any restrictions due to lot size? 

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I will walk into city planning dept first.

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thank you, I went to the city. The answer I got was...We Dont know. Huge confusion all over. They asked me to send me an email and they will get back to me.

    This is the email I just sent..I will let you know once I get a response.

    Per your request I am sending you my questions via email.

    1. Garage to JADU I currently have a 1200 sqft ADU on top of my "detached" garage. Can I convert my detached Garage with is connected to the ADU as a JADU? Can I convert my car port which is connected to my main dwelling as a JADU? Or Can I build a JADU on top (second floor) of my main dwelling? Per AB-68: "(A) One accessory dwelling unit and one junior accessory dwelling unit per lot with a proposed or existing single-family dwelling
    2. R1 with ADU Owner occupancy : Owner occupancy has been removed till 2025 but what happens in 2026 ? Will it be grandfathered in? This is important because based on this information I know if I should invest here or for the same price get a R2 lot in Gardena etc.,
    3. On a R3 lot with 2 units currently with a lot size of 3750 sq ft, Can I build 2 additional ADU's or 2 units and make a fourplex ? What about R2 lot?
  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 263 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    @Ben Chow I think the city is going to be overwhelmed by the number of questions in that email. You should considered talking to an architect who has done ADU work in the area to knock out some of the easier questions that are explicitly stated in CA legislation.

    As for question number two I don't think anyone knows, but I would love to know the answer!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.