Please analyze this deal

Please analyze this deal

NH · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP community -

Hoping to get some feedback on this property that just came up for sale in my local market.

The numbers -

Asking price is $300,000 but I would offer and pay no more than $285,000.

Taxes would be $5,500 per year

Rents for each would be conservatively $1,300 per month and probably closer to $1,500 per month.

If financed with a standard loan @ 4.5% i see PMTI at $1,700 and with a HELOC for the 25% down that payment would run $500 per month. So all in my costs would be about $2,200 per month and rents would be between $2,600 and $3,000. The duplex was recently remodeled so up front cap ex would be minimal.

Cash flow would be $400-$800 per month before vacancies and cap ex.

Seems like an OK but not great deal, but curious on thoughts. 

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Rich Abbott

    The numbers look good, but you may want to look at a few more numbers before moving forward on this one. Every property has expenses correlated with it. You also have the vacancy factor. I can usually rent my home within 3 weeks. I like to interview all my tenants so we are on the same page for expectations. These are some of the expenses to consider before your renter moves in:

    Home Warranty

    Paint

    Miscellaneous Repair (this is important because if something is faulty they will look to you for compensation)

    $2200 in expenses for the home.

    $3000 in rent x 80%=$2400. (20% is a number I use to account for vacancy and upkeep)

    The way I do the math, if the home needed nothing, I see a potential $200 in profit monthly. For that much home I personally like a little more spread in my profits. But you have to decide whether the return is worth the risk. Ultimately it is your decision.

  • NH · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jason Leon

    At this property I’d be inheriting one tenant and have vacant in the other. Pros and cons I suppose. I like that someone would already be in place but makes it harder to asses needed repairs and I don’t like that I couldn’t put them through my screening process 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.