Who wants BP Calculators to account for borrowed down payments??

Who wants BP Calculators to account for borrowed down payments??

Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 1 vote

I started investing in Real Estate 2 years ago as a buy/hold investor and I have done a couple of flips. I love using the BP calculators to analyze properties, but I have spent my cash on the 14 units acquired in the last 2 years. The returns have been great overall, but there is not enough cash flow to keep growing my portfolio at the rate I would like. 

So, do I stop buying properties? NO way! I am borrowing the down payment for my next property in the form of a "business loan" - 5 year loan at 8% interest amortized over 5 years. The payment comes out to be $405/mo, which is great, because the cash-flow of the property is $850/month! Which means my cash on cash is about 100% :) 

.....but when I use the calculator, I input all of the information, using the commercial loan (20% down, 5.25% interest, 25 yr AM), then add the $405 loan payment later as an expense. Which means that my Cash-on-Cash return is showing much lower than 100%. I can calculate this by hand, but I like to save PDF copies of the BP projections, and compare them to our actual returns. And it's annoying to have incorrect information that I have to remember to calculate by hand. 

Is there a better way to add the cost of personal loans/bridge loans/business loans used for down payments? 

Would anyone else like BP add another option to input information for a second loan?

0Reply
56 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I see what you're getting at, @Jamie Beltran, but in this case I think you're thinking about it incorrectly. Your CoC ROI is actually infinite, since you're not putting any cash in (other then maybe closing costs). The $405 down-payment loan is not any more your "cash" than the commercial loan you're also paying each month.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Jaysen, Thanks for your reply, and I see what you're saying. I didn't mention in my post that the down payment will be about $25,000 and we only borrowed $20,000, and we will pay about $500 for an inspection. So we will be about $5,500 into this deal with our own cash.  

    I agree with you about the down-payment loan being counted similar to the commercial loan and not as cash. And I'm trying to find a way to use the calculator so that the down-payment loan isn't counted as cash. But, the best solution I came up with so far is to just calculate the numbers with the commercial loan then add the $405/mo as an expense. Any ideas? Here is the Property Analysis using the BP Rental Calculator

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.