Long Distance Investing

Long Distance Investing

Rental Property Investor · Mobile, AL · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 13 votes

I’m living in Atlanta right now and don’t know if it’s the best place to buy a property right now (Especially my first). How are you guys determining what markets you invest in? What are you looking for specifically? I’m looking into investing out of state.

0Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

You should have deal opportunities all around you. Long-distance investing is best suited for experienced investors who have boots on the ground in the area so they know they can trust the decisions being made.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Auburn, NH · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 207 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Greene I would argue that if one lives somewhere but grew up somewhere else, spent a good amount of time somewhere else, or is knowledgeable of an area outside of where they live and has team members they trust in said area, and the numbers make sense why not invest in said area? It’s emphasized over and over again that the team is one of the most critical aspects of a deal working or not. They don’t have to be in the same area as you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Lamontis Gardner join the local Reias. I joined them all. Over time I narrowed down to just Gareia. They are local investors helping other locals...

    My gig is buy and hold. Quit some 3 yrs ago Johnny pay check. :) I like helping locale folks buy rentals.

    Read my paper off my bp profile 1st paragraph. Best of luck.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Kiera Underwood That is good to hear. I’m looking for multifam units and it runs around $500k here in San Diego. The rent makes up for it but it’s a little steep for me as a starter.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Arby Lim yeah a lot of investors come to my market looking for multifamily, but it's scarce here! We're dominated by single-family homes. They cash flow and have very affordable price points (60-80k), but I only see a couple of good multifamily deals a year. 

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeremy Wirths so, exactly what I said then, in my original response? "Long-distance investing is best suited for experienced investors who have boots on the ground in the area so they know they can trust the decisions being made."

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.