Am I on track in using my heloc and cash?

Am I on track in using my heloc and cash?

Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes

Just wondering if there is a better way to do this or am I doing it "right"?  I have 3 SF's and will close on another this week, in North Carolina.  We bought these in 2019. 

Property  1 traditional finance

Property 2 paid cash

Property 3 traditional finance (couldn't cash out refi one above fast enough)

Property 4 paying cash (this included the cash out refi money from property 2 plus a heloc from our primary residence)

Our goal is to have 12 doors with a cash flow of $200 per door for a total cash flow of $2400 per year within 4 years.  So we need 8 more doors.  

After we cash out refi the property number 4 we will have about $110,000 cash (including $35000 from our Heloc) We were planning to use that to buy another Sf in cash, and continue to cash our refi that until we have 4 more SF's and then the last time use the cash out refi money to put a down payment on a 4-plex.  

The only other option I can see at this point is to use the money for an 8-plex.   

Is this the best way to use the cash and keep it working for us?  What am I missing? Any other ideas????

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 104 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Heather U.:

Just wondering if there is a better way to do this or am I doing it "right"?  I have 3 SF's and will close on another this week, in North Carolina.  We bought these in 2019. 

Property  1 traditional finance

Property 2 paid cash

Property 3 traditional finance (couldn't cash out refi one above fast enough)

Property 4 paying cash (this included the cash out refi money from property 2 plus a heloc from our primary residence)

Our goal is to have 12 doors with a cash flow of $200 per door for a total cash flow of $2400 per year within 4 years.  So we need 8 more doors.  

After we cash out refi the property number 4 we will have about $110,000 cash (including $35000 from our Heloc) We were planning to use that to buy another Sf in cash, and continue to cash our refi that until we have 4 more SF's and then the last time use the cash out refi money to put a down payment on a 4-plex.  

The only other option I can see at this point is to use the money for an 8-plex.   

Is this the best way to use the cash and keep it working for us?  What am I missing? Any other ideas????

Heather, if I was in your situation, I would skip the SFR and go straight to MF. As long as the numbers still make sense after the cash out refi, then I see no issues.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 104 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Heather U.:

    Just wondering if there is a better way to do this or am I doing it "right"?  I have 3 SF's and will close on another this week, in North Carolina.  We bought these in 2019. 

    Property  1 traditional finance

    Property 2 paid cash

    Property 3 traditional finance (couldn't cash out refi one above fast enough)

    Property 4 paying cash (this included the cash out refi money from property 2 plus a heloc from our primary residence)

    Our goal is to have 12 doors with a cash flow of $200 per door for a total cash flow of $2400 per year within 4 years.  So we need 8 more doors.  

    After we cash out refi the property number 4 we will have about $110,000 cash (including $35000 from our Heloc) We were planning to use that to buy another Sf in cash, and continue to cash our refi that until we have 4 more SF's and then the last time use the cash out refi money to put a down payment on a 4-plex.  

    The only other option I can see at this point is to use the money for an 8-plex.   

    Is this the best way to use the cash and keep it working for us?  What am I missing? Any other ideas????

    Heather, if I was in your situation, I would skip the SFR and go straight to MF. As long as the numbers still make sense after the cash out refi, then I see no issues.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If your goal is 12 doors, I don't know why you're wasting your time with one SFR at a time, @Heather U. A larger MFR will have a lower per-unit purchase price and you'll start to see efficiencies of scale and be able to force appreciation. Scale up and get there this year.

  • Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Thank you Derek and Jaysen.  I hear what you are saying. Why keep monkeying around with Sf's?  I can't see how to work out the cash to go immediately to a multi.  So I have around $100,000 cash.  Do I look to buy a 4 plex for $50,000 down and another for $50,000 down. Or I could do a bigger unit and use the entire chunk as the down payment.  At that point then the money is gone and we are done buying houses.  Which I guess is ok if we hit our 12 door mark. With the Sf's I am able to rinse and repeat and can continue buying.  Just trying to process this. Thanks for your thoughts!! Appreciate help!

  • Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Derek Harris and @Jaysen Medhurst 

    Just learned how to tag people!! But my above post wouldn't let me edit it so just adding it here! Thanks!

    Also, just a note, though I said I'd like 12 doors and that is our goal, if there is way to keep rolling the money and keep buying, I could see doing that!!  That is why the SF's are appealing I guess.  Thanks!

  • Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Bumping hoping for more opinions PLEASE!!!!  Trying to figure out how to stretch our cash to get the most doors until it runs out!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I don't know your market, @Heather U., but I would look for a 5+ unit building where there is value-add opportunity. You definitely want to go 5+ so you can force appreciation. Perhaps you put down $75k and use the other $25k for renovations. Ideally, you're creating enough value to refi in a year or two and pull out your initial investment. This is basically "big girl BRRRR."

    On a separate note, I would seriously consider disposing of those SFRs and using a 1031 exchange to get into this or another 5+ MRF. Best to use all your capital/equity to get into the best possible property to meet your goals.

  • Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Bumping hoping for more opinions PLEASE!!!!  Trying to figure out how to stretch our cash to get the most doors until it runs out!

  • Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst thank you Jaysen.  Will look into the option of selling the Sf's to roll into Mf's. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.