Real Estate Agent · CT · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
Hey everyone thanks for taking a second to read this post it means a lot to me thank you.
Short of actually going to the town hall and pulling the information by hand, is there a faster way to get accurate property tax information on any given property?
Rental Property Investor · Derwood, MD · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
6y
Just about every state has a website for tax bills. With some searching you can find the available information easily. This is actually how I get 'accurate' information. However, there is always information that is close enough on the listing sites such as Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc.
Rental Property Investor · Derwood, MD · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
6y
Just about every state has a website for tax bills. With some searching you can find the available information easily. This is actually how I get 'accurate' information. However, there is always information that is close enough on the listing sites such as Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc.
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
You should be able to look up the property in your state, county, and local address online. It’s public knowledge. I do this for most properties I look at honestly.
It gives you clues if the property is a rental or family owned. The taxes are nearly double in my market for income producing property.
Real Estate Agent · CT · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
6y
Thank you guys, I just looked online and sure enough I can get it on the town websites. Boy does that save time or what?
Only talking about property taxes now, will either of you guys put an offer on a house using only the property tax information provided by the websites? Realtor.com Zillow, Trulia? Or will you always look it up on the assessors websites to confirm?
Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@James Hunt
I always look up the actual property taxes on the county assessor site. For example, we just had a reassessment in 2019 in my county, but realtors are still stating the prior years taxes. Also, make sure it wasn’t owner occupied prior and if you will not owner occupy, that the taxes will go way higher.
Same with utilities, rents, etc. Verify actual numbers. Never trust a listings numbers for anything.
@James H. Get the numbers from the assessor's website. Also keep in mind some municipalities do a good job keeping them up to date with assessed values and others don't. I owned a condo for about 20 years and my taxes were low compared to other units (same size) that had been sold over the years. As soon as I sold, the taxes went up for the new owners as the city based it on the new market value. Why they never increased it while I owned it since there were lots of units in the building to use as comps, I don't know.