Why Mortgage Rates Diverged From Bond Rates And Headed Higher

Why Mortgage Rates Diverged From Bond Rates And Headed Higher

Lender · Central Florida Markets · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 135 votes

Over the last few days Mortgage rates have been heading higher .When Bonds hit all time lows banks essentially threw in the towel after getting inundated with rate  Lock requests . They Pulled the plug on the lowest priced rates ever seen .

I was locking in loans under 3 % on Friday and  Monday but  by Tuesday the same loans were in the high 3%'s some banks were over 4%. Too many Borrowers overwhelmingly tried to lock in these low rates that bankers had to curb the mortgage submissions. 

 The quickest way was just raise the rates and end the party . Consider the fact that  more than likely  those who had already applied with a broker or bank and already  had their documents in a file were able to take advantage Of this very short lived rate bonus. 

As the loan application queue lightens  up we will likely see a the bond and mortgage markets realign. My suggestion if you are in the market for a new loan or a ReFi get your app in and wait for rates to come back down. You likely wont like today's rates as many are higher than a few months back  Best of luck and keep your eye on rates as they have been all over the place this past week 

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the insight @Keith C. I inquired on Friday with my credit union and it was at 3% then Monday went to 3.375% then the next day was at 3.250% then back up. I was confused as to what to do. My current rate is at 4.125% on my primary. I guess I just wait now and watch it like a hawk or should I just take advantage of the current 3.375% they are offering now? 

    Mark 

  • Lender · Central Florida Markets · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lewis its a tough call to predict markets I suggest to  my borrowers if you like the Rate and can make those payments  lock it . The slight changes that typically happen weekly doesn't  make much difference on the monthly payments . Its those larger moves and only God or Corona Virus Patient 01 knows when that will happen ,,,

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.