What is your rental property criteria?

What is your rental property criteria?

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes

Hi everyone!

I’m wondering what is your buying criteria? What is it about a property that’s a deal breaker for you? Do you only buy certain types of properties?

1Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
6y

@Sue K.

Where’s the down vote button? Your comment was very cryptic and her question was reasonable. Now my turn to be mean... don’t be a jackass.

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    Really comes down to cash flow and potential appreciation. I use the 1% rule as a generic baseline not a make or break, but it gives me an idea. I won't invest in flood plains or areas with septic tanks or well water. The liability and extra charges aren't worth it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    We prefer properties built since 1980 but do buy older properties. Each deal is analyzed on its own. Cash flow is the primary factor as we live off our rental income. We usually buy all cash and typically fixer sfr's.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Cash flow minus tenant problems.  

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Shain Ismailovski If a property is below the 1% for rent, do you automatically count the property out?

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout Have you found that the older properties you purchase have cost you more in repairs and in headaches haha?

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. Hi Sue! Could you elaborate on this?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Victoria Coleman:

    @John Teachout Have you found that the older properties you purchase have cost you more in repairs and in headaches haha?

    It varies. The primary reason for 1980 and later is they don't have issues with lead paint and asbestos as both of those were not being used by then. And the wiring is typically grounded by then too. Of course, then there's polubutylene plumbing and so forth. 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout Okay, great! That makes sense, thank you for the insight.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Victoria Coleman:

    @Sue K. Hi Sue! Could you elaborate on this?

     Could I elaborate on cash flow minus tenant problems?  No.  Take a minute and think about it.  This business requires common sense was my point.  Stop and think and stop asking silly questions.  And yes that was mean, but necessary.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman 8% caps in C class areas, 7% caps in B class areas (unless it's a more up a and coming pocket) and 6% caps for A-class/new construction/complete flips. 

    If something has all new major mechanicals or a strong cosmetic upgrade I'll drop lower than that! 

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman Not always. Depends on the area. In Northern NJ where I primarily invest it’s extremely difficult to find a property that cash flows at the 1% rule so if you do find one you know its rare and worth looking into. Otherwise, I’ll usually compare all the numbers when making a final decision 

  • Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman

    We only buy multifamily, 80 units or greater.

    We raise private capital from regular people that want to invest passively in real estate, so our criteria is we need to be able to achieve 15% in average annual returns for the investors at a 75/25 investor/operator split. That makes it easy to market to investors and worth our time too. We typically look for properties that need a little TLC, but have solid occupancy numbers (though we did buy one at 67% occupancy and are turning it around).

  • Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    @Sue K.

    Where’s the down vote button? Your comment was very cryptic and her question was reasonable. Now my turn to be mean... don’t be a jackass.

  • Zach GringPro Member
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman

    I have one at 1% and if not for the potential for using the equity for a heloc I would be selling it. After vacancy and repairs set aside my cash flow is 30.00 before that stuff is 340$ but I’ve had same tenants for 3.5 years and no major repairs. So it’s a lot about the tenants at the 1% market in my opinion.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. For starters, no question is silly. I’m sure there are plenty of questions that you’ve asked that could have been considered “silly,” but the bottom line is that you DID NOT know the answer. Secondly, everyone else has been very helpful in answering a newbies questions because that’s how you learn, and that’s why we’re here on BiggerPockets, to learn and help others and network. If you’re not interested in helping people, then please don’t bother commenting. You didn’t bring any value to this post! Have a wonderful day Sue!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Brian Briscoe Thank you Brian! Clearly, she’s having a bad day!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Shain Ismailovski Makes sense, thank you for you help!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Brian Briscoe Okay great! Thank you for the insight. In years to come, I hope to invest in apartment complexes so I will keep this in mind.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring Do you typically look for properties that at 2%? Thank you for the insight! This was very helpful!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. Also, this was not necessary and you could’ve taken the time to elaborate on the question as opposed to making yourself look bad. Take a minute and think about it.

  • Zach GringPro Member
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman

    That rental was out of necessities a few years back. I didn’t start exploring rei as a vehicle to greater financial freedom and wealth until recently. I am looking to get into the Milwaukee market as soon as I can safely I find I can get closer to a 2% deal up there. Illinois taxes can easily crush a good real. An ultimately I don’t want a long term rental in a state with a track record of continuous decline that’s just my personal opinion.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring That makes sense! Thank you for elaborating and good luck with your search!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman  It really depends on your goals, risk and location.  I do long term rentals, so I look for places in areas that I would want to live and homes I would live in.  I usually have starter type homes (so nothing high end or fancy).  I've bought places that need some work (more than paint, but not a gut job) and some that need no work.  

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Theresa Harris Thank you Theresa!

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Victoria Coleman

    I buy based on cash flow, but I don't use the 1% rule. It's only a guide. Cash flow for SFH $300 plus. I typically use the BRRRR method so I am forcing appreciation. Multifamily units $150 per door at a minimum for buildings greater than 6 units. Two units $300 per door. 3, 4 and 5 units $200-$250. There are many variables as each property has its own uniqueness.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.