Lost my job after a signed purchase agreement, need advice.

Lost my job after a signed purchase agreement, need advice.

Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 7 votes

So as the title suggests, I signed the purchase agreement a few weeks ago for a potential rental property, then lost my job, but was told hopefully we'll be brought back in the future, but nothing is certain. I feel pretty sure no bank would give me a loan now without a job. And so I reached out to my realtor and told him this and his suggestion was to tell the seeking realtor what's happened and ask to extend the signing date, bc he said just simply backing out at this point would be bad. I don't understand why though as I don't have a job. I'm also a bit hesitant to go through with the deal even if I do get my job back in time given the uncertainty of the economy and that it was already going to put me in a really tight financial situation. Does anyone have any advice? What are the consequences of just backing out at this point bc no bank would give me a loan right now, and wouldn't in time for the contract signing, which it's like a week away? Is my realtor giving me good information or is he just wanting my commission by telling me we should just extend in hopes that I get my job back?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Nate Pucel what contingencies were listed in the contract?  Do you have a financing contingency?  If so, just have your lender provide a letter of declamation so you can get out of the deal. 

Have you already paid a deposit?

Your post is confusing because you say you "signed a purchase agreement", and "no bank would give me a loan right now, and wouldn't in time for contract signing."

Didn't you already sign the contract?  The answer to your question is in your contract.  

Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Nate Pucel what contingencies were listed in the contract?  Do you have a financing contingency?  If so, just have your lender provide a letter of declamation so you can get out of the deal. 

    Have you already paid a deposit?

    Your post is confusing because you say you "signed a purchase agreement", and "no bank would give me a loan right now, and wouldn't in time for contract signing."

    Didn't you already sign the contract?  The answer to your question is in your contract.  

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Irish-Jones

    Thanks for the reply. I received a pre approval for a loan when I signed the PA. The sale is subject to financing. I only received a pre approval for the loan, and noir suuuure if that means the bank would give me a loan given my unemployment? I only put down 500 earnest money at this point.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Nate Pucel contact your lender and ask for a letter of declamation. Once you have that give it to your realtor. You should be entitled to your EMD back, and able to get out of the contract with no issues. I say should because I am not reading your contract.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 124 votes
    6y

    If you are not comfortable with moving forward then get out.  The financing contingency will save you since you lost your job, as the other poster mentioned.  Should not be a problem to cancel the contract at all.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    Matthew is correct. There ought to be a financing contingency in your PSA (purchase contract). If you lost your job, then you will be unable to get financing (you'd think). This activates the fiancning contingency. Most financing contingencies can be executed by having your lender provide a letter saying they will not lend to you. Then you get your EMD (earnest money) back.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.