Trying to pick best financing rout for 3rd rental

Trying to pick best financing rout for 3rd rental

Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes

In this crazy time, I plan to pick up a 3rd SFH (under $180k probably) to make a long term rental here in St. Petersburg, FL.

I have $50k cash on hand that I can use for purchase, other $ for a small upgrade to make property rental ready.   Almost every property that I see that would be worth picking up for what I want is going to cash buyers, or is listed by wholesalers requiring cash buyer or hard money financing buyer.

I am considering going the hard money lending route versus refinancing my primary residence to pull out cash ( I have about $200k equity so it would work).

What I see:  Hard money would be quick, not change any payments until I actually sign on a property that I want, all the risk would be on the new purchase property, I might have difficulty getting the new property refinanced off of hard money at any decent terms (both because of rentals I already have, lender fears with this market, possibly dropping values, etc), all costs related to would be able to be put under taxes under this new property.  Refinancing my primary to get the cash on hand to be a cash buyer would take longer, financing costs both short and long term would be on much more preferable rates than on an investment property, my mortgage writeoffs on taxes would be deductions on primary residence and not a much on investment property costs/income, all the risk would be on my primary home, I would be paying on the new higher mortgage while sitting on the cash no matter how long I had to wait to find new property I wanted to purchase.

What am I missing, what have I not thought of, what do you all think?

0Reply
18 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 874 posts · 355 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Hamilton:

    In this crazy time, I plan to pick up a 3rd SFH (under $180k probably) to make a long term rental here in St. Petersburg, FL.

    I have $50k cash on hand that I can use for purchase, other $ for a small upgrade to make property rental ready.   Almost every property that I see that would be worth picking up for what I want is going to cash buyers, or is listed by wholesalers requiring cash buyer or hard money financing buyer.

    I am considering going the hard money lending route versus refinancing my primary residence to pull out cash ( I have about $200k equity so it would work).

    What I see:  Hard money would be quick, not change any payments until I actually sign on a property that I want, all the risk would be on the new purchase property, I might have difficulty getting the new property refinanced off of hard money at any decent terms (both because of rentals I already have, lender fears with this market, possibly dropping values, etc), all costs related to would be able to be put under taxes under this new property.  Refinancing my primary to get the cash on hand to be a cash buyer would take longer, financing costs both short and long term would be on much more preferable rates than on an investment property, my mortgage writeoffs on taxes would be deductions on primary residence and not a much on investment property costs/income, all the risk would be on my primary home, I would be paying on the new higher mortgage while sitting on the cash no matter how long I had to wait to find new property I wanted to purchase.

    What am I missing, what have I not thought of, what do you all think?

    Well, it seems you have many what if's, I don't blame you but you have two options do it or don't do it. You have thought of it all, and that's the problem, get back on track. You are in a great position, unlike most Americans they are not thinking about investing- you are -because you can. You own a home, 2 more properties and thinking of the 3rd -I don't hear you asking about forbearance... Analyze the numbers don't think about what if ... How did we go to the moon? First, we had a dream and second, we did the math to get there.

    Do the math- it's all in the numbers. Its not rocket science. 

    Did you buy it at a good price? Cap Rate?

    Does it Cash flow? at 3.5%, at 5% (rate)?

    Is your ROI what you want in an investment?

    Is your DSCR at 1.2?

    1% Rule?

    50% Rule?

    Good luck and keep investing, buy American, America needs it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Guifre Mora

    I'm going to do it. Just trying to decide hard money VS refi

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Just finished refi.  I am now a cash buyer looking for a great property to park it in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Robert Hamilton

    Got offer approved today.

    If any really want details, I can share, but I will tell you I chose to go cash wisely.

    Open house on first listed day, toured, made cash offer with inspection contingency only. They got 3 other cash and 3 other conventional offers, all at list price.

    I added 2%, cut inspection period to 3 days after making sure inspector networked in with could do next day, and set close for 2 weeks.

    Offer accepted!

    If I wasn't on top of checking listings daily, cash ready to go, and had networked vendors I probably wouldn't.

    There are my insights in this very busy market here in St. Petersburg, FL at this moment.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Hamilton:

    In this crazy time, I plan to pick up a 3rd SFH (under $180k probably) to make a long term rental here in St. Petersburg, FL.

    I have $50k cash on hand that I can use for purchase, other $ for a small upgrade to make property rental ready.   Almost every property that I see that would be worth picking up for what I want is going to cash buyers, or is listed by wholesalers requiring cash buyer or hard money financing buyer.

    I am considering going the hard money lending route versus refinancing my primary residence to pull out cash ( I have about $200k equity so it would work).

    What I see:  Hard money would be quick, not change any payments until I actually sign on a property that I want, all the risk would be on the new purchase property, I might have difficulty getting the new property refinanced off of hard money at any decent terms (both because of rentals I already have, lender fears with this market, possibly dropping values, etc), all costs related to would be able to be put under taxes under this new property.  Refinancing my primary to get the cash on hand to be a cash buyer would take longer, financing costs both short and long term would be on much more preferable rates than on an investment property, my mortgage writeoffs on taxes would be deductions on primary residence and not a much on investment property costs/income, all the risk would be on my primary home, I would be paying on the new higher mortgage while sitting on the cash no matter how long I had to wait to find new property I wanted to purchase.

    What am I missing, what have I not thought of, what do you all think?

     Portfolio Lending, that's what your missing. 

    Your sitting on equity, performing good on existing, have some track record showing you can do this, it's time to start meeting with local banks and discussing portfolio lending. 

    Ideally a 1m line of credit for acquisitions, funds secured by acquisition, with "battle plan" how at end of day once all reno is done and tenant placed they will roll property into it's own mortgage at 65-70% LTV, replenishing line of credit up to 1m again.

  • Accountant · Corte Madera, CA · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 88 votes
    6y

    @Robert Hamilton

    Congratulations on the purchase! Just as an aside, if you refinanced you’re primary residence and used all the loan proceeds to purchase an investment property, then the interest deduction is tied to the investment property for tax purposes. Make sure you spell out to your tax advisor what the loan proceeds were used for once tax time comes around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Will Dixon

    I appreciate it. 2020 taxes first year I plan to using tax specialist. Been handling it t now my self.

  • Attorney · St Petersburg Fl / Cambridge UK · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Nicely done! Kind sharing where about in St Pete the house is located? What was your buying criteria? Thanks 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    6y
    It is in Tyrone Mall area.  My criteria was block home, no foundation issues, no mold, no pool, under $175k all in after repairs, expected rent over $1350/month after repairs, B- or better neighborhood, and something that on quick tour/curb appeal after improvements would be highly appealing for renter.    Is this the info you were looking for?
  • Attorney · St Petersburg Fl / Cambridge UK · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Yep, that’s really helpful. Thanks. That seems a good location too - well connected to the rest of the peninsular. Keen to hear how the remodel goes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.