Paying a higher deductible for a better rate on insurance

Paying a higher deductible for a better rate on insurance

Investor · Rota, Spain · Member since 2019 · 156 posts · 68 votes

Do yal pay a higher deductible for a better rate on insurance and what rates and deductibles are yal paying? I am trying to shop around and see what would be the best insurance quotes. Thanks for the help.

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Dimitri Paspalaris a $2,500 deductible will typically be the sweet spot on most policies.  

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dimitri Paspalaris a $2,500 deductible will typically be the sweet spot on most policies.  

  • Real Estate Coach · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 341 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott is that nationwide or more specific to Milwaukee area? I'm playing with the deductible on a new property now but now want to re-evaluate some of my previous policies...

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Patrick Menefee that is nationally.  There are a lot of little nuisance claims that fall in between $1,000 and $2,500 mark that the insurance carriers need to charge for.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    On that note, the quality of the neighborhood has also an impact on the insurance premium; expect to pay more on cheap properties in rough areas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I thought i was saving money (being a smart investor) by having a 5k deductible.... well i had a water damage loss in a rental and that extra 2500 out of my pocket ate up my income for that unit pretty fast! So i inquired and changing my deductible tp 2,500  would cost about $50/year.   

    So, i would recommend a 2500 deductible, but use your insurance for large losses, not anything over 2500  since number and cost of claims paid can affect your pricing.

  • Investor · Rota, Spain · Member since 2019 · 156 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for the advice. In addition, if the town home has a master policy for the outside of the property should I make the coverage A  dwelling the same as the purchase price or 75k since I am responsible for only the interior of the property.  I am trying not to overpay on this property. Thanks for all of the help

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Dimitri Paspalaris ask your insurance broker to help ensure you have the appropriate coverage. Or, the HOA may have a specific requirement for insurance.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Dimitri, If this is a townhouse condo unit, the amount of coverage A would be based on what parts of the building are your responsibility to insure. The description of the unit in the bylaws will give you a lot of the info. From that info you can figure what it would take to replace those items (sheet rock, paint, cabinets, fixtures, etc. might be your responsibility)
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dimitri Paspalaris

    Yes. I’ll never make a claim for less than $5,000, so why would I want a deductible lower than that? Saves me 20%.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dimitri Paspalaris That question is a bit loaded.  Only because I have some cash policies and some replacement cost policies.  I also have different endorsments on many of them.  So a bit more understanding of what sort of policy cash or replacement wouild be helpful.  Despite that fact, I subscribe to paying a higher deductible to lower the overal cost of the policy.  I'm of the mindset that claims are reserved for total losses or majore repairs upward of 25-30% of the cost of property.  There are not many things that would cause this kind of loss in my market so a higher deductible would make sense for me.  I've had a total loss on a rental once before.  I payd $20K with an $85K cash policy.  Insurance company cashed me out 100% but kept 20% to send to the county as the property needed to be razed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.