ROBS 401k Transactions - Selling to Family

ROBS 401k Transactions - Selling to Family

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a ROBS 401k to fix and flip properties. I have purchased two single-family residences that are great rentals. Could I sell those properties to an LLC I own or that my family members own? I would plan on selling the properties for the assessed value. The ROBS would get active income from flipping and the family would get to keep the rental.

Thanks

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chad Peterson:

    I have a ROBS 401k to fix and flip properties. I have purchased two single-family residences that are great rentals. Could I sell those properties to an LLC I own or that my family members own? I would plan on selling the properties for the assessed value. The ROBS would get active income from flipping and the family would get to keep the rental.

    Thanks

    No the property is prohibited from sold to yourself or an entity owned by a related person.

  • Benton City, WA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    my understanding is that you can't sell it to yourself or your llc, or your son/daughter/parent/sibling.  Granparent, yes, you could.  but I'd definately ask a pro first.  We have a company servicing our ROBs (guidant) that we can ask questions of, or you could ask an attorney.  sorry, i know this is an old thread, but i'm sure the question will come up again, and there isn't a lot of info out there on this subject, so I thought I'd chime in.  :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.