what do you think of these listing photos?

what do you think of these listing photos?

Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes

Hi BP

I am getting a crash course on staging.
I have just received a bunch of CMA from difference brokerages.

this one was obviously well done and sold above asking

A bunch of them were vacant, which mine would be.....but I am debating about staging my SFH, to see if it's worth it in this market. most of the homes are (staged with own furniture, and vacant for those that are remodeled or moved)

then I came across these "technique", of the same listing





this one is still on the market.

If you are experienced "stager" of your property, what are the dos and don'ts?

0Reply
36 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Jennifer Lee I'd say if you can't afford to stage a house completely, so that it has enough furnishings and decor to spark the imagination of the buyer envisioning living there, then focus on staging the bathroom and kitchen simply but of a quality befitting the potential home buyer, and make sure the house is painted in a neutral colors (that doesn't mean everything has to be builder beige!)

    Buyers want to envision their stuff in the house.

    If you do stage the entire house, try to find a contemporary style that appeals to the masses. Go on to HGTV and check out pics on some of their shows.

  • Landlord · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 129 posts · 49 votes
    13y

    I am not a stager nor a set stylist, but the staging in those photos is absolutely horrible. Just says cheap. My first thought from seeing that in a house would be that whoever did the remodel was cheap and cut corners. I'd head straight for the door.

    Better to show nothing and let the buyer think that you know what you're doing than to show something and confirm to the buyer that you don't.

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    Definitely not an unfinished basement like that and folding chairs / tables would be a mistake as well.

    I would completely agree that if you cant afford to do the whole house, focus on the main components thoroughly and not bits and pieces spread throughout.

  • Professional · CA · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I'm a Property Manager for a company that does management of 400+ condos, houses, and apartments. I've done hundreds of leases and dealt with hundreds of tenants throughout the last few years. I've taken many marketing photos of properties with and without furniture.

    It's a hit or miss but from my point of view, unless it looks like a model home, it's better to go without furniture and try to take photos that puts the property in a light where it shows plenty of space. Reason being that having wrong furniture or big furniture could make the property seem much smaller than it is. Lot of people are interested in having big rooms not small so if the furniture makes the rooms look smaller than it is, then that would definitely be a disadvantage when trying to find buyers/tenants.

    On paper it may have big SF but in the photos the property looks much smaller due to furniture being too big or arranged poorly.

    I do like the angle of the photos as it tries to make the rooms look big

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    13y

    The staging item in the photos actually detract from the house in the photos.

    The first picture, seems a bit distorted, look good for the most part. The small items above the bed and on the right wall are distracting and dont help.

    We stage all our houses, I dont put in furniture, except I do dining room tables in about half the houses, if it adds to the design. If it makes the room look small I leave it out.

    Most of the houses we do are 1,100-1,500 sq ft and have smaller bedrooms, the reason I dont put the furniture in. Rooms always feel bigger without furniture.

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    The wide angle lens to fit the whole room in can make them look slightly distorted.

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 283 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    It's looks like the staging was done with whatever could be found in the storage shed. There is no common theme. The master bedroom looks modern and contemporary something that younger buyers would go for. The rest just looks old and outdated.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y

    I do just light staging that add color to the homes. A full stage may be required on higher end homes, but most folks do a light stage and then professional photos.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.