Advice on relocating to Tennessee and/or Georgia Please

Advice on relocating to Tennessee and/or Georgia Please

Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes

Hi everyone! :-)

Since everyone is always so helpful and everyone has such great advice, I thought I would ask for some guidance.
I know that I could (and will) be spending hours researching locations in both of these states. I know it is hard to tell just by the internet info and Google earth. I will be making a trip out to both states in the next month, but... I thought you guys might be able to save me a little time (and have some expertise) on the areas to purchase a home to occupy and areas to stay away from in Tennessee and Georgia.    Thanks in advance!

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
6y

It depends on your need. Why you want to move to these area? If you are here to work and have family that still goes to school, I recommend areas like Johns Creek, Suwannee, East Cobb. (Good school district) If you are here to retire and enjoy good view, North GA mountain will be a great place to be.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN. · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    Hi

    We are happy to get you an agent for the state of TN or the state of Georgia if you need.  Just let us know what areas of town you are inquiring about.

    Thanks,

  • Real Estate Broker · Lewisville, NC · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Hi Monique! I was born and raised in GA, just recently moved to NC. Whatever you need help with in GA I’m happy to offer guidance. As far as areas, I lived in Marietta which is a great balance of suburb while still being close to the city. It’s a sought-after area for homeowners and investors. Feel free to message me with any specific questions you have about areas or locations!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    6y

    @Monique O'Dell

    Hey Monique,

    I see your from Visalia. Nice town. I am from Cali also and have looked at both states also. I live in Los Angeles but had a house in Springville for many years so I have been to your town many times.

    There are nice places in both states but personally I would choose Tennessee because there is no state income tax. Being from Cali that is close to a 10% bump in income just for moving there. You can research and compare both states for yourself on Kiplingers site.

    My wife and I have personally been to look at Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

    My daughter goes to University in Atlanta so we have been there a few times but never really looked at real estate.

    PM me some questions and I would me more than happy to answer them for you.

    Good luck!

  • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    6y

    Hey @Monique O.!

    I cannot speak for TN, but I am a big believer in the market here in Atlanta. Especially with the starting of a possibly major recession, I think ATL is a great place to be. There has been incredibly strong job growth here since the last recession and there is a great diversity of jobs, as well. Obviously the population is growing steadily along with the jobs. Yes, the market is quite hot but since the greater metro is so sprawled there are plenty of deals to go around for active, go-getter investors. Another result of the sprawl is that there are many different submarkets within the greater metro, allowing investors to successfully focus in on a specific niche. Each submarket is a little different than the next so you'll need to figure out which is right for you based on your strategy of choice. 

    I'd be happy to chat more with you about Atlanta. Shoot me a message anytime:-) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    It depends on your need. Why you want to move to these area? If you are here to work and have family that still goes to school, I recommend areas like Johns Creek, Suwannee, East Cobb. (Good school district) If you are here to retire and enjoy good view, North GA mountain will be a great place to be.

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Monique O'Dell

    We just relocated almost 2 years now from SoCal.

    We are in the Knoxville area. It is growing fast and surprisingly. Everytime I meet new "locals" they moved from CA. It is always so surprising.

    We live in the Cedar Bluff area and I know Farragut and Concord are very nice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Tyler Tapley I will take you up on that!

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Caleb Griffin Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Damaso Bautista Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Ruth Blue Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Jingru Sui thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    While TN doesn't have income tax, they sure do have a high sales tax. Have to factor that into the equation.

  • Real Estate Agent · Golden, CO · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    Can you shed light on why you are considering these areas? Memphis could be a great pick as long as you do your research. I'd also throw Asheville NC into your search. Once you are in southwest NC / southeast TN you are within a couple hours of the 3 states and the whole area is beautiful. Pisgah forest, Chattahoochee, etc. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.