I offered full asking price on a property and listing agent/seller is saying deed issue. This wasted a few days, then they changed the listing to best and highest offer by a date that was a week down the road. He obviously knows I will give full asking and now hes playing the market. Is there anything I can do since he changed the listing after I put offer in? I would have waiting until the last day had he structured the listing this way after my offer. I really want this house and any help is much appreciated.
Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Chad Gronan it doesn't seem like they actually changed the listing, it seems like they got multiple good offers and are doing a multiple seller counter offer of highest and best while also allowing new buyers to submit highest and best. They are under no obligation to accept a full price offer if they have offers over full price or say list price minus one dollar but all cash. What you can do is offer your highest and best. In the future as hard as it may be I'd suggest not getting emotionally attached to any one particular house. If they had accepted your offer when you submitted that would be a different story.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
Your offer SHOULD have included a 24 hour response time. Assuming it did. You are no longer under any obligation to buy. As Matthew said above. I have responded in about every way possible depending on how badly I wanted the property. A) The same B) a few thousand less I say because of the delay. C) I don’t resubmit any offer. If they don’t get an offer higher than mine they’ll obviously come back to me and I’ll remind them my offer has expired, let’s negotiate. If they Don’t come back they obviously got a higher offer.
I offered full asking price on a property and listing agent/seller is saying deed issue. This wasted a few days, then they changed the listing to best and highest offer by a date that was a week down the road. He obviously knows I will give full asking and now hes playing the market. Is there anything I can do since he changed the listing after I put offer in? I would have waiting until the last day had he structured the listing this way after my offer. I really want this house and any help is much appreciated.
"Highest and best" is pretty common when the house was listed lower than what the market will bear, meaning multiple offers came in. If you or your realtor know your market, you would be able to recognize if that is true or not.
If you really want the house, offer what you believe its value to be. I have been beaten by offers that included some kind of clause saying they will beat the highest valid offer by some margin, so there is that too..
I offered full asking price on a property and listing agent/seller is saying deed issue. This wasted a few days, then they changed the listing to best and highest offer by a date that was a week down the road. He obviously knows I will give full asking and now hes playing the market. Is there anything I can do since he changed the listing after I put offer in? I would have waiting until the last day had he structured the listing this way after my offer. I really want this house and any help is much appreciated.
@Aaron K. has given you your answer. Study it and learn.