Attorney wanted for structuring partnerships for real estate investing

Attorney wanted for structuring partnerships for real estate investing

Investor · atlanta , GA · Member since 2012 · 287 posts · 148 votes

I live and invest in Atlanta GA. I'm looking to start several new partnerships with co-workers. I need a good attorney that is very familiar with putting a partnership agreement together, specifically for real estate investors. I've done the usual Google searches, and checked with the local bar association, but no luck. I've spoken with a few, but I don't feel real confident they know the ins and outs of a real estate partnerships. I'm not opposed to using an out of state attorney either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0Reply
24 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Thomas, what makes you think the attorneys you spoke to can't put a partnership together for you?

    Basic partnership agreements are not difficult, most is boilerplate.

    Have you considered the LLC route?

    Have you spelled out what the expectations are?

    If you're looking for an attorney to devise your arrangement for you, that's not their job really, that comes from the business decisions amongst the partners.

    An accountant might be who you need to speak to before an attorney.

    Got a plan?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    I was going to say what Bill said. You don't need a real estate attorney, you need a contracts attorney. Just tell him the terms of the agreement, and he can create a contract.

    Now, if you don't know the terms of the agreement, that's a MUCH bigger question, and something you need to figure out first...

  • Investor · atlanta , GA · Member since 2012 · 287 posts · 148 votes
    13y

    Thanks. I've laid out some pretty specific points as to responsibilities for each partner. I'm at the point now where I have the skills as far as acquistion, re-hab, and management that I would like to bring in a partner for capital. Most people I work with want to invest in real estate, but they don't want the hassle of managing etc. I'll seek out a contract attorney. Thanks for the tips.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Be careful when forming partnerships one bad unrelated lien & you could compromise the investment(s)!!!!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    Are you looking for debt or equity? If debt, you can just use a deed of trust and promissory note, which most closing attorneys will be able to draw up for you to sign at the closing table.

  • Investor · atlanta , GA · Member since 2012 · 287 posts · 148 votes
    13y

    J. Can I call you on Monday? I think you have the solution to what I'm trying to accomplish. I haven't taken on partners up to now.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Thomas Williamson:
    J. Can I call you on Monday? I think you have the solution to what I'm trying to accomplish. I haven't taken on partners up to now.

    Sure...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.