Made an offer on a for sale by owner

Made an offer on a for sale by owner

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 7 votes

 Hello BP! Drove by this house in the south mountain area today and saw a for sale by owner sign and  decided to shoot my shot(for the first time). It's a 2/1 single family 1,106 sq ft, condition from the outside doesn't seem to bad but was not able to see the inside because it is currently occupied, ran numbers and comps and came up with a offer of $140k and got denied. Before I even offered she mentioned they've received several offers,highest being $280k. I find that hard to believe since nearby comps are selling for $220-$230k for 3/2s fixed up ( my plan was to convert the carport in to a room so it can be a 3 bedroom house). Told the lady that seems way too high and I mentioned the comps nearby. I asked if I can see the inside so  I can give her a more accurate price but she wanted to end the conversation right there. The lady did mention it was in good condition but it would need paint and some updating Here are the numbers let me know if I'm missing anything and if you have advice related to this please let me know. 

If I would have tried to flip it ( would need a partner for the rehab cost and 15% of purchase price, splitting the profit 50/50 with me providing work and the deal) 

Arv: $220,000 ( as I mentioned there were a few comps that sold between$220k and $230k in the past 6months)

Repair costs:  estimated $30k ( I have no idea what the inside looks like but I assume it would be trashed)

Hard money: 85% ltv $119,000

                           - at 10%: $11,900

                           - 2points: $2,380

Holding cost4,500 (3 months)

15% of purchase price: 21,000

all in for $188,780

if it sold at $220,000 that's $31,220 profit, $15,610 each  with a 30% return for my partners money.

Or I would have wholesaled the property.

Am I looking at this correctly? What would you do differently, and any tips on speaking with sellers directly?

I will be following up with seller if its still for sale in a week. Thanks in advance!
 

0Reply
24 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Assuming I would have gotten it under contract for $140k.  

  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Andres Cardenas where do most buyers come from, the mls. Take 9% closing cost of approximately 18k selling cost you will split a whopping 13k. What if the renovation takes 40k. Down to 3k to split. What if the sale takes 3 more months of carrying cost. Looks like a slim deal to me.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Tim Herman you’re right I would need to come in lower, the 35k I budgeted is on the higher side of what I think it would be, I can do a majority of the work myself. I think it would be around 25k. I would be getting an inspection so any roof or foundation issue would blow it out of the question. I appreciate the feedback

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kevin J. Hubbuch I just deleted all my social media because they were causing too much distraction. I’ll pm you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.