Is it impolite to for the seller's tax return?

Is it impolite to for the seller's tax return?

Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Looking to buy a new commercial property, and wanted to see their tax return to see if their numbers matched. I'm not sure the specific form I am asking for, but I believe the most reliable information about a properties income is on the previous year's tax return. Was just wondering if anyone had some advice about the right way to ask.

0Reply
32 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    Just ask for the schedule E or C.  I’ve been asked for this before and always refused as my wife and I do thé E’s as part of our joint filing.  They can show you the bills themselves, that’s always been fine with me.

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    How early into the conversation can I ask?

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Make that part of your offer, and let them know the contract will be subject to your verification of those numbers.

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you both! 

  • Investor · Dallas-Ft Worth · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I have been in both situations asked and been asked in all cases I had no problem disclosing it I even included it when I returned the signed contract because I anticipated they would ask....they were very appreciative.  I'm assuming your looking at a multi-tenant commercial building???  In either case if they didn't want to disclose the tax return then I would ask them for something else to back up their numbers i.e. rent roll, copy of all leases/expenses etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.