Found $873K, need help investing it

Found $873K, need help investing it

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Bought a teardown at a tax auction, went in and knocked a hole in one of the kitchen walls, found three stud bays filled with plastic-wrapped used bills, mostly twenties but lots of fifties, hundreds. $873K total. There was a Glock lying on top of one of the stacks, bit rusted, been there a while.

How should I invest this money? Please help. I'm so confused.

64Reply
348 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y

Your situation is more common than you may think. Lots of investors got started after finding money stuffed in walls. 

First bit of advice is don't touch the gun. If you did, wipe off any finger prints and dispose of the gun in the closest river. 

Second thing to realize is someone will be looking for that money. It may be 10-15 years before the come looking, but guaranteed they will be back. Finish the rehab quickly and sell the house.

Now the money is all yours! Here is how you make it grow:

1. Advertise publicly you have the money. This is the best way to attract investing advice. You will meet lots of nice people who are looking out for your best interests.

2. Hopefully you find some fist time syndicators or flippers that will agree to pay you huge returns. Is it risky? Yes, but do you want to get rich or what?

3. Avoid the stock market. Everyone knows real estate is the only guaranteed investment.

That is about it. Give your money to the first person offering great returns and watch it grow. 

See this reply in the discussion

154 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    Bought a teardown at a tax auction, went in and knocked a hole in one of the kitchen walls, found three stud bays filled with plastic-wrapped used bills, mostly twenties but lots of fifties, hundreds. $873K total. There was a Glock lying on top of one of the stacks, bit rusted, been there a while.

    How should I invest this money? Please help. I'm so confused.

    A rusted Glock, ha!!!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Gauger:

    @Jim K. Congratulations on the new windfall! I'm going to send you a PM on an amazing opportunity that is just too good to keep to myself.

    I'm running a venture that syndicates flipping yurts using the BRRRR strategy as medium term rentals to traveling nurses with dogs on the 4% rule in A class hoods out of state using seller financing on pre-foreclosures with no money down and 20% cash on cash returns plus over 12% appreciation per day. With you as a new equity partner in my series LLC we can both velocify our money faster than Starman's orbit around the sun!

    Your Greek retirement will be just around the corner!

    You might want to consider BRRRLOing yurting, but hey, it's your business model, not mine. Can you send brochure and swag immediately? I do .pdfs on paperwork, but I'm really going to need a nice keychain, maybe a T-shirt, before I can seriously consider this.

    I would appreciate it, given the circumstances, if we didn't discuss precisely where my retirement was going to happen.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    Bought a teardown at a tax auction, went in and knocked a hole in one of the kitchen walls, found three stud bays filled with plastic-wrapped used bills, mostly twenties but lots of fifties, hundreds. $873K total. There was a Glock lying on top of one of the stacks, bit rusted, been there a while.

    How should I invest this money? Please help. I'm so confused.

    A rusted Glock, ha!!!

    First to pick up on that, Jack.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Gauger:

    @Jim K. Congratulations on the new windfall! I'm going to send you a PM on an amazing opportunity that is just too good to keep to myself.

    I'm running a venture that syndicates flipping yurts using the BRRRR strategy as medium term rentals to traveling nurses with dogs on the 4% rule in A class hoods out of state using seller financing on pre-foreclosures with no money down and 20% cash on cash returns plus over 12% appreciation per day. With you as a new equity partner in my series LLC we can both velocify our money faster than Starman's orbit around the sun!

    Your Greek retirement will be just around the corner!

     I am pretty sure Jim does not want a Greek retirement.  He has a friend of a friend who moved to Portugal.  THAT is where he wants to retire!  SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell anyone!

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
    6y

    @Chris John Its like the order of operations from elementary school.

    (Troll × Troll) + Troll = Troll^2 + Troll.

    Troll^2 + Troll = Hilarious BP Inside Joke

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Jim I assure you, this money would be safest in the hands of my exclusive private investment group: Sprout Capital America Mark, LLC, LLC, LLC.

    We don't mess around with anything risky, but play it straight with your money in the areas of expertise which have provided every single one of our clients with consistent guaranteed 200% annual returns for over 55 centuries: 

    1. Bitcoin 

    2. Secret opportunity (All I can say is it's a promising Lead to Gold Conversion Company!)

    3. Race Horses 

    4. Beanie Babies 

    5. Baseball cards 

    6. Restaurant Franchises (qualifying factor: must serve McRibs) 

    7. Turnkey Timeshares, OOS 

    8. Binary Options

    9. The Brooklyn Bridge 

    10. Exotic "Structured Products" (I can't tell you anymore about this, but it's good)

    11. Life Settlements

    12. A time machine that takes you back in time to buy AAPL in 1985 

    13. Penny Stocks

    Most of our clients are pro athletes and doctors, but I'll make an exception just for you. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:

    Jim I assure you, this money would be safest in the hands of my exclusive private investment group: Sprout Capital America Mark, LLC, LLC, LLC.

    We don't mess around with anything risky, but play it straight with your money in the areas of expertise which have provided every single one of our clients with consistent guaranteed 200% annual returns for over 55 centuries: 

    1. Bitcoin 

    2. Secret opportunity (All I can say is it's a promising Lead to Gold Conversion Company!)

    3. Race Horses 

    4. Beanie Babies 

    5. Baseball cards 

    6. Restaurant Franchises (qualifying factor: must serve McRibs) 

    7. Turnkey Timeshares, OOS 

    8. Binary Options

    9. The Brooklyn Bridge 

    10. Exotic "Structured Products" (I can't tell you anymore about this, but it's good)

    11. Life Settlements

    12. A time machine that takes you back in time to buy AAPL in 1985 

    13. Penny Stocks

    Most of our clients are pro athletes and doctors, but I'll make an exception just for you. 

    Hey, Steve. I deeply appreciate the sense of humor and work that went into putting this together, and normally I would respond in kind, but I am actually getting people I don't know sending me friends requests and then stuffing my inbox with offers remarkably like these. They want me to loan them money, invest in their flips, buy their listings...your list is pretty spot on in tone.

    It's a bit overwhelming, and more than a bit sad. My business model as a small-scale C-class landlord is very simple, as you well know. And it works well, because my wife and I make it work. Over time, I've fallen in with a group of people on this site who are much like me: they steadily do the work and reap the steady rewards. But with this thread, I'm seeing a whole other side of Bigger Pockets, an extremely lamentable side I could mostly just ignore in the past. Buncha get-rich-quick grasping a-holes all trying to get something for nothing. Why work when you can make a quick buck off a bumbler who finds money in a wall?

    If these people spent half as much energy actually doing useful and practical things, you've got to wonder how much better the real estate investment world would be.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Chris John still good advice.

  • remodeling contractor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    Awesome!!! You've got great luck so let me know when you go to Vegas!!!  ;-)

    But seriously, as others have mentioned, be very leary and distrustful!!

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Look into Triple NNN deals you can invest in.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Awesome!!! You've got great luck so let me know when you go to Vegas!!!  ;-)

    But seriously, as others have mentioned, be very leary and distrustful!!

     What's a Greek man without his paranoia?

  • Rental Property Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2020 · 156 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    Oh dang I was looking for that. Thanks for finding it for me. Where can I meet you to pick it up? Lol

  • Real Estate Agent · Ontario, Canada · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Jim K. I’m just here for the comments!! But seriously though, that’s amazing... I can’t imagine!!

  • Timothy MooreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    First, congrats on the find, that's great! I'd certainly consult a CPA on the best way to bring that money into your accounts or an investment before proceeding as I've never been through that personally and you wouldn't want to screw yourself there.

    Second, unless you already have a variety of investments, you should diversify those funds. Obviously most people here, including myself, strongly believe in real estate so you can definitely put it all into real estate, but spread it between multiple deal types, JVs, or syndications for more security. Or do real estate and other investments such as stocks, bonds, businesses, etc.

    Third, decide which types of real estate deals and markets most interest you and then connect with people that invest in or facilitate investments in that area. I personally do value add SFH or small to mid size rental & apartment investing and all of my focus is in metro detroit. So if you want to come here, I'm happy to talk, but if i were looking at another area, I'd want to team up with great agents, wholesalers, lenders, property management, insurance companies, etc that specialize in that area.


    Best of luck and always happy to chat!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Timothy Moore:

    First, congrats on the find, that's great! I'd certainly consult a CPA on the best way to bring that money into your accounts or an investment before proceeding as I've never been through that personally and you wouldn't want to screw yourself there.

    Second, unless you already have a variety of investments, you should diversify those funds. Obviously most people here, including myself, strongly believe in real estate so you can definitely put it all into real estate, but spread it between multiple deal types, JVs, or syndications for more security. Or do real estate and other investments such as stocks, bonds, businesses, etc.

    Third, decide which types of real estate deals and markets most interest you and then connect with people that invest in or facilitate investments in that area. I personally do value add SFH or small to mid size rental & apartment investing and all of my focus is in metro detroit. So if you want to come here, I'm happy to talk, but if i were looking at another area, I'd want to team up with great agents, wholesalers, lenders, property management, insurance companies, etc that specialize in that area.


    Best of luck and always happy to chat!

    Thanks so much, Timothy. What do you think about putting it into Beanie Babies and a time machine, as @Steve K. suggests?

  • Timothy MooreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Timothy Moore:

    First, congrats on the find, that's great! I'd certainly consult a CPA on the best way to bring that money into your accounts or an investment before proceeding as I've never been through that personally and you wouldn't want to screw yourself there.

    Second, unless you already have a variety of investments, you should diversify those funds. Obviously most people here, including myself, strongly believe in real estate so you can definitely put it all into real estate, but spread it between multiple deal types, JVs, or syndications for more security. Or do real estate and other investments such as stocks, bonds, businesses, etc.

    Third, decide which types of real estate deals and markets most interest you and then connect with people that invest in or facilitate investments in that area. I personally do value add SFH or small to mid size rental & apartment investing and all of my focus is in metro detroit. So if you want to come here, I'm happy to talk, but if i were looking at another area, I'd want to team up with great agents, wholesalers, lenders, property management, insurance companies, etc that specialize in that area.


    Best of luck and always happy to chat!

    Thanks so much, Timothy. What do you think about putting it into Beanie Babies and a time machine, as @Steve K. suggests?

    I'd highly recommend the time machine, seems like a great investment tool haha

  • Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 54 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:

    Jim I assure you, this money would be safest in the hands of my exclusive private investment group: Sprout Capital America Mark, LLC, LLC, LLC.

    We don't mess around with anything risky, but play it straight with your money in the areas of expertise which have provided every single one of our clients with consistent guaranteed 200% annual returns for over 55 centuries: 

    1. Bitcoin 

    2. Secret opportunity (All I can say is it's a promising Lead to Gold Conversion Company!)

    3. Race Horses 

    4. Beanie Babies 

    5. Baseball cards 

    6. Restaurant Franchises (qualifying factor: must serve McRibs) 

    7. Turnkey Timeshares, OOS 

    8. Binary Options

    9. The Brooklyn Bridge 

    10. Exotic "Structured Products" (I can't tell you anymore about this, but it's good)

    11. Life Settlements

    12. A time machine that takes you back in time to buy AAPL in 1985 

    13. Penny Stocks

    Most of our clients are pro athletes and doctors, but I'll make an exception just for you. 

    Hey, Steve. I deeply appreciate the sense of humor and work that went into putting this together, and normally I would respond in kind, but I am actually getting people I don't know sending me friends requests and then stuffing my inbox with offers remarkably like these. They want me to loan them money, invest in their flips, buy their listings...your list is pretty spot on in tone.

    It's a bit overwhelming, and more than a bit sad. My business model as a small-scale C-class landlord is very simple, as you well know. And it works well, because my wife and I make it work. Over time, I've fallen in with a group of people on this site who are much like me: they steadily do the work and reap the steady rewards. But with this thread, I'm seeing a whole other side of Bigger Pockets, an extremely lamentable side I could mostly just ignore in the past. Buncha get-rich-quick grasping a-holes all trying to get something for nothing. Why work when you can make a quick buck off a bumbler who finds money in a wall?

    If these people spent half as much energy actually doing useful and practical things, you've got to wonder how much better the real estate investment world would be.

     Jim I hope the other side of BP you're experiencing doesn't turn you off from the site. I can tell you the words of wisdom from the steady investors doing the work are what keeps me (and I'm sure many others) coming back here again and again.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Timothy Moore:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Timothy Moore:

    First, congrats on the find, that's great! I'd certainly consult a CPA on the best way to bring that money into your accounts or an investment before proceeding as I've never been through that personally and you wouldn't want to screw yourself there.

    Second, unless you already have a variety of investments, you should diversify those funds. Obviously most people here, including myself, strongly believe in real estate so you can definitely put it all into real estate, but spread it between multiple deal types, JVs, or syndications for more security. Or do real estate and other investments such as stocks, bonds, businesses, etc.

    Third, decide which types of real estate deals and markets most interest you and then connect with people that invest in or facilitate investments in that area. I personally do value add SFH or small to mid size rental & apartment investing and all of my focus is in metro detroit. So if you want to come here, I'm happy to talk, but if i were looking at another area, I'd want to team up with great agents, wholesalers, lenders, property management, insurance companies, etc that specialize in that area.


    Best of luck and always happy to chat!

    Thanks so much, Timothy. What do you think about putting it into Beanie Babies and a time machine, as @Steve K. suggests?

    I'd highly recommend the time machine, seems like a great investment tool haha

    I should probably clarify Timothy, that investment vehicle is still in Phase One of Research and Development, along with the particle accelerator to convert lead into gold (extremely cost effectively I might add). However, here at SCAM LLC, LLC, LLC, we strongly believe the real money is in monetizing these ideas, and that getting in on these concepts at the ground level is a sure-fire way for our investors to reach financial independence beyond their wildest dreams. Infinite returns!!

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:

    Jim I assure you, this money would be safest in the hands of my exclusive private investment group: Sprout Capital America Mark, LLC, LLC, LLC.

    We don't mess around with anything risky, but play it straight with your money in the areas of expertise which have provided every single one of our clients with consistent guaranteed 200% annual returns for over 55 centuries: 

    1. Bitcoin 

    2. Secret opportunity (All I can say is it's a promising Lead to Gold Conversion Company!)

    3. Race Horses 

    4. Beanie Babies 

    5. Baseball cards 

    6. Restaurant Franchises (qualifying factor: must serve McRibs) 

    7. Turnkey Timeshares, OOS 

    8. Binary Options

    9. The Brooklyn Bridge 

    10. Exotic "Structured Products" (I can't tell you anymore about this, but it's good)

    11. Life Settlements

    12. A time machine that takes you back in time to buy AAPL in 1985 

    13. Penny Stocks

    Most of our clients are pro athletes and doctors, but I'll make an exception just for you. 

    Hey, Steve. I deeply appreciate the sense of humor and work that went into putting this together, and normally I would respond in kind, but I am actually getting people I don't know sending me friends requests and then stuffing my inbox with offers remarkably like these. They want me to loan them money, invest in their flips, buy their listings...your list is pretty spot on in tone.

    It's a bit overwhelming, and more than a bit sad. My business model as a small-scale C-class landlord is very simple, as you well know. And it works well, because my wife and I make it work. Over time, I've fallen in with a group of people on this site who are much like me: they steadily do the work and reap the steady rewards. But with this thread, I'm seeing a whole other side of Bigger Pockets, an extremely lamentable side I could mostly just ignore in the past. Buncha get-rich-quick grasping a-holes all trying to get something for nothing. Why work when you can make a quick buck off a bumbler who finds money in a wall?

    If these people spent half as much energy actually doing useful and practical things, you've got to wonder how much better the real estate investment world would be.

    The fact that people are honestly trying to solicit you over this post is both hilarious and concerning. I mean, doesn't everyone know Glocks don't rust? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Latham, NY · Member since 2020 · 74 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Jim K. You could do the obvious here and invest the funds into your local drug trade, your overhead is already covered with the glock and many syndication offers will come your way. The other positive to this investment is that the current pandemic and market won't have an effect on the drug trade, business might even be stronger....Just a suggestion.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    6y

    Counterfeit Glock Counterfeit Cash



  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    This is both hilarious and a bit disturbing with some of the serious comments. Thanks for the humor @Jim K.! 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    There's only so many times we can read the standard-issue Daddy-gave-me-money-what-should-I-do-with-it thread.

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Greene @Brandon Turner

    Get this man @Jim K. on the BP podcast. Do a special show where you walk him through how to invest the money, maybe even bring in some tax specialists and other people to meet the legal needs. It would definitely benefit the community, and it would be extremely interesting.

    I would give it a listen ,and I don’t think I’m alone.

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 181 votes
    6y

    @Jim K.

    Am I dense? This is a joke right?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.