Just bought my first primary residence and gas regulator leaking

Just bought my first primary residence and gas regulator leaking

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 8 votes

Hi all,


It hasn't even been a week since I moved to my house that was built in 2007 and I am having a gas leakage issue. The gas company has completely shut off the gas as of today.  They are saying there is leak on customer fuel line which is basically the maxitrol regulator leaking in the attic. They recommended having a plumber check out the issue. 


Has anyone dealt with this before? I am located in north Atlanta (Cumming) so if anyone knows anyone or has any recommendations that would be really great. 

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    Must be frustrated but unfortunately it's part of home ownership. I would follow what the gas company told you and contact plumber ASAP. You can lookup homeadvisor and get some plumber in your area to come take a look.  Gas leak is dangerous. 

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    6y

    Check Nextdoor.com for your neighborhood under recommendation for plumber. I’ve found some of my best folks this way. You have people in your neighborhood recommending and that means repair person is nearby

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jingru Sui:

    Must be frustrated but unfortunately it's part of home ownership. I would follow what the gas company told you and contact plumber ASAP. You can lookup homeadvisor and get some plumber in your area to come take a look.  Gas leak is dangerous. 

    I actually found out it's a bigger issue. The gas company incorrectly pointed the issue to be the regulator (which is actually a simple fix from what I have learned). The issue is that the pipe leading from the attic to the fireplace is leaking. I have the gas shutoff for that part and now no gas smell. The pipe needs to be reinstalled behind the wall. Do you think this is something I can get the previous homeowner to be responsible for? I figured he'd have to know of this issue since I have had this issue of moving into the house. It hasn't even been a full week of me being here. This is a bit frustrating. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Polite:

    Check Nextdoor.com for your neighborhood under recommendation for plumber. I’ve found some of my best folks this way. You have people in your neighborhood recommending and that means repair person is nearby

    Thank you Kevin. This is exactly what I ended up doing. I guess one of the positives of this issue is that I am learning a lot. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    @Pragati Soni

    Does the house listed as sold as is?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Pragati Soni:
    Originally posted by @Jingru Sui:

    Must be frustrated but unfortunately it's part of home ownership. I would follow what the gas company told you and contact plumber ASAP. You can lookup homeadvisor and get some plumber in your area to come take a look.  Gas leak is dangerous. 

    I actually found out it's a bigger issue. The gas company incorrectly pointed the issue to be the regulator (which is actually a simple fix from what I have learned). The issue is that the pipe leading from the attic to the fireplace is leaking. I have the gas shutoff for that part and now no gas smell. The pipe needs to be reinstalled behind the wall. Do you think this is something I can get the previous homeowner to be responsible for? I figured he'd have to know of this issue since I have had this issue of moving into the house. It hasn't even been a full week of me being here. This is a bit frustrating. 

     Welcome to home ownership. Generally speaking you are responsible for anything after closing. You would have to prove they were aware of the issue and lied about it on a disclosure. Very often inspections catch issues like this, although not everyone is as sensitive to the odor they put in gas. You would think a newer house would have less issues, but I have found cheaper materials are being used in construction now. My house is from 2008 and I have had four HVAC related repairs, one leaking roof vent, two microwaves, leaking shower drain and one leaking regulator valve (utility side). It is a nice house too with high end fixtures, so the point is problems happen on any age home. The timing is bad luck, but not really something you can blame on the old owners. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.