1 Deal, 3 States. How do I make this happen?

1 Deal, 3 States. How do I make this happen?

Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes

I am trying to purchase a property in Florida. The seller lives in Virginia ,and I live in California. This is likely going to be a cash deal. 

Which state contract law should I be following here? The state of the seller? Of the deal? Of me? Or all three?

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
6y

David, you’ll want to get a real estate attorney in Florida.  Each state has very specific rules for the transfer of property and what documentation needs to be completed.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    Where the property is

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Thanks! @Mark H. Porter 

    There are no restrictions from other states that I need to follow then?

    Side note: the seller wants the contract through snail mail. Any advice on sending it over signed/ unsigned and how many copies?

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    David, you’ll want to get a real estate attorney in Florida.  Each state has very specific rules for the transfer of property and what documentation needs to be completed.

  • Attorney · RI · Member since 2019 · 157 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    @David Reo you would follow FL law since the property is located there.  You will also need to follow FL law for the handling of legal documents at closing.  For example, two witnesses are required to witness the grantor's signing of the deed.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    Yeah ... what Erica says ;-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.