Moving to Houston with 20% down and no Job.

Moving to Houston with 20% down and no Job.

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

As you all know, Coronavirus has ravaged through many industries in our economy. Unfortunately mine was no exception, and have been laid off since March with no end in sight. I live in Southern California, and was working to get pre approved in my area with the standard requirements for a typical FHA loan. You know, the 2 year job history, tried to bump up my income since houses in LA are mad expensive and tried to tuck away as much money as I could in order to cover downpayment and closing costs. I do not have enough to cover a 20 percent downpayment for a median listed house here in Los Angeles, but let's say I made the move to a more affordable market? I know the lending requirements are more than likely the same, but will a 20% downpayment help me get pre approved in the Houston market? Obviously, I would need to find another job in a different industry, and need to make a decent amount, my gf lives with me and has been working as a dental assistant for the past 2 years. I am hoping that with her job history and with both our wages combined (assuming I land another job) , we can get pre approved. Our rental lease is up this December, and are honestly considering making this drastic change. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I honestly thought that by the end of this year I would be able to provide a home for my two kids and my gf. I know the US economy looks grim for the moment, but I'm hoping that I can still turn things around and make something happen in the near future. Thanks for reading through my post!

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Houston is one of cities that people move from many different cities, states, and countries. I have been living here for 15 years. There are so many opportunities.  I am an investor also a realtor in South Houston. If there is anything I can do to help, PM me. Good luck!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.