Log Cabin Builders in Boone, NC and surrounding area

Log Cabin Builders in Boone, NC and surrounding area

Investor · Greensboro NC · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Hey BP,

Looking to connect with some New Construction, Builders and specifically Log Cabin builders in the Seven Devils, Boone, Blowing Rock etc area of North Carolina. Hoping to get some insight on new construction in those areas and how the process works if any of our bigger pockets family can help. I currently live in the Greensboro area and have the opportunity to buy a piece of property in Seven Devils and have questions about building up there, costs, permits, land requirements etc. My plan would be to purchase the property and build a 3 bedroom cabin or mountain home on it as a short term rental and family vacation home. Any advice is welcome! 

Thanks,

Cody  

0Reply
19 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Keith DowdyBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boone, NC · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    I can only share what my wife and I found out about this topic a few years ago. We also wanted to build a new cabin for our use and for short term rentals. What we understood after a little research was that building new was much more expensive than buying an existing cabin with the desired location, view, land and making the needed updates. We've since done the updating process on three cabins. We've done well on all- we've sold two at a significant profit after renting for a few years, and we're continuing to rent the cabin we own in Beech Mountain. We're currently in the process of doing a 1031 to buy two more cabins in the Beech/Boone area. The number we kept hearing was that new construction cost in the $300/sq ft range. It didn't seem like a good idea to us at that cost. 

    Let me know if you'd like to talk more about this. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boone, NC · Member since 2015 · 291 posts · 88 votes
    5y

    @Cody Thomas I live in Boone, construction costs have been going through the roof lately.

    The real estate market is also very hot with low inventory and high demand.

    I am currently looking for a primary residence and it has been a challenge even though I live here which has allowed me to go see properties a few hours after them being listed and pull the trigger really fast on putting offers out. So far I keep being outbid...

    I think if you’re willing to go a little farther from Boone and blowing rock, it might be easier as it might not be as competitive.

    Good luck!

  • Boone, NC · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Cody, I've heard the same thing about building costs. I don't know specifically about a log cabin, but generally I've heard you're looking in the $250/sq foot range + foundation costs, which due to the landscape up here is where things can get really expensive. That may be get you close to the $300 range that Keith was talking about. Obviously the land matters when it comes to excavation costs, but the flatter the lot the more expensive the land is. Something reasonably flat with a view is probably going to run in the $80-100k an acre.

  • New to Real Estate · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Cody Thomas Were you ever able to get contact info for any log home builders in the Boone area? I am currently under contract on a log duplex that is needing a little work. So far, everyone I have called is too busy to have a look at it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.