What is a good BRRRR ROI if CoC would be infinite?

What is a good BRRRR ROI if CoC would be infinite?

Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 7 votes

What is a good ROI for a BRRRR? I know people use CoC which is great but if I am getting 100%of my money back out, how would I calculate a good return? Here is the info on the potential property:

Purchase- 50k

Rehab - 30k

Holding - 8k

ARV - 120k

Rent projection - 950/mnth

I would refinance 90k to get my money out which would make the mortgage around $635 a month PITI.

If I did a normal ROI calc I would only have around a 4% return. But cash flow would be $300 a month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Other than bragging rights, what does it really matter?  That said, your best measure of return will be against the opportunity cost of this investment.  

    Also, your cash on cash return should properly include reserves for maintenance, vacancy and capital expenditures (and property management unless you self-manage).  Assuming 20% holdback for these expenses, your cash on cash is actually about $125/month.    

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    5y

    IMO, once you've got your investment out, any positive cash flow is a good BRRRR -- as long as your out estimates are conservative and you have sufficient reserves to deal with unexpected expenses. You own a property with no cash of your own in, and every month your equity grows.

    A caveat, though... You generally don't know for certain you'll be getting all your cash out -- you don't know exactly how it will appraise after rehab. If you do your analysis based on a low guess on the ARV and a high guess on expenses, is your CoCR acceptable? If so, you're good.

  • Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank you both, I appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.