Missoula, MT - Duplex househack - OPINIONS NEEDED

Missoula, MT - Duplex househack - OPINIONS NEEDED

Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 35 votes

Hello all,

I am looking for any feedback regarding a deal I am heavily considering. If you are not familiar with the Missoula market, it is hot at the moment (like most) and deals come and go fast. Rents are rapidly increasing here. I saw this one and acted quick and would like to see how other view it.

Cost: $345000

Location: East missoula

Duplex (separated houses) 3bed 1 ba, 2bed 2ba

Separately metered.

2007 build (2/2) & 1920 build (3/1) (07 remodel)

3/1 market rents are $1200 +/- 120 (currently)

2/2 market rents are $1100 +/- $110 (currently)

I will be living in the 2/2 for ~ 1yr (househack)

VA loan used, 30 yr, ~3%

PITI is around $1800/mo

Operating costs living there ~ $250/mo

Operating costs moved out ~ $500/mo

Rents will go up in the coming years and this deal is located next to an area of rapid development and gentrification.

Any input is appreciated and thanks for your time!!

1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 9 votes
5y

Bridger,

Missoulian here as well. Your rental rates seem pretty accurate to me. Though I haven't followed East Missoula vs Missoula much. My concern is your operating costs with the remodeled duplex. 

do you know anything about that remodel? Old home remodels can be done really well (everything inside the walls is upgraded) or new drywall could cover up years of hassle for you. Just something to consider. Maybe increase your operating expenses (which seam low) to make sure it still "pencils" for you. 

as a house hack it sounds very interesting. Those are my two cents for now.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Bridger,

    Missoulian here as well. Your rental rates seem pretty accurate to me. Though I haven't followed East Missoula vs Missoula much. My concern is your operating costs with the remodeled duplex. 

    do you know anything about that remodel? Old home remodels can be done really well (everything inside the walls is upgraded) or new drywall could cover up years of hassle for you. Just something to consider. Maybe increase your operating expenses (which seam low) to make sure it still "pencils" for you. 

    as a house hack it sounds very interesting. Those are my two cents for now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Jeremiah Purdum

    Thanks for your response! My actual operating costs are around $1000/ month after looking. I miss wrote that. But it still pencils as a decent deal for the first one. It is by no means a homerun, but I think its a good enough base hit to get me into the game. It'll be nice not paying rent any more and beginning to build some equity.

    I am just about to get an inspection ordered on the property and will certainly make a point to check the older remodeled one. (Its on septic, check electric, plumb, framing, foundation is poured concrete.) Just heard back we are under contract!

  • Developer · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    Bridger, how did the transaction go? Always excited to see people land good deals here in Missoula. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Brady Potts

    We are set to close on the 21st! Very excited!

  • Developer · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    Thanks fantastic, we are also closing on a duplex in a few weeks here in town. Its exciting to see people find deals in a really tough market. They are here, you just need to put the nose to the grindstone and get it figured out. 

    Just curious, who are you working through for your VA loan? Seems like to two separate houses and one built in 1920 might have been tough to push through underwriting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Brady Potts

    We have ran into some issues do to that very reason. The VA took some nudging and pushing for them to consider it. I worked with Scott Lucier at Envoy Mortgage. He and the team with him are relentless and have been very helpful.

  • Developer · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    Scott's the man. I actually used to work for him a few years ago and I run all my loans through him now, including the current deal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Brady Potts

    That's great! Ya the process wasn't too bad (even for 1st time buyer using VA) and I will return for deals down the road.

  • Kyle HendricksPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2021 · 170 posts · 74 votes
    8mo

    Hey @Bridger L Logan curious how this performs now. I bet this one aged very well, sounds like a great deal!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.