Direct Mail Criteria in todays market

Direct Mail Criteria in todays market

Investor · McMinnville, OR · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 4 votes

I would like to try a crack at a direct mail campaign. We are trying to locate another investment property in AL. We are pre-approved, as well as have cash in hand for a flip/BRRRR property. However, it has been difficult to find a good property to flip/BRRRR. I have read a few articles and have noticed a few common themes: be consistent, get free information from .gov sites, consider pay services (Listsource, Propstream, etc.), consider absentee owners, pre-delinquent, divorce, probate etc. However, I'm wondering if people still consider this worthwhile and if so, what type of criteria should I focus on for a first time mailing? I plan to pay for a list from List source. Currently, I am interested in finding property to flip/BRRRR 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 1,500-2,500 sqft in the 50-120k range. I'm worried of getting the criteria wrong and spending lots of money sending mailings to the wrong demographic. I have a specific area code that I am looking to buy in as well. For those who have found success with this what criteria do you use? Does COVID-19 change any of your criteria? What paid services do you find the most useful? Finally, if my goal is to get 1-2 deals under contract how many letters should I consider sending? I understand that question is dependent on a number of variables but I'm just looking for a general number. I understand it's a trial and error process but I would just like to be sure I have the bulk of everything right. As always, thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · FL · Member since 2011 · 586 posts · 360 votes
    5y

    @Jacob Trimble You're on the right track for sure, I'd also consider adding in a length of ownership filter of 10+ years for absentee and 20+ for owner occupied if you decide to mail to owner occupied properties. 

    The number one question I hear from people new to sending out direct mail is "how many will I have to send before I get a deal?". You're 100% correct that there are a ton of variables that can make that number range from 1,000-20,000 so if somebody gives you an answer, they're either ignorant or lying. 

    If you'd like to chat, I am happy to give you some advice on how to get started and be successful, just shoot me a message.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.