Seller wants 30% down. Why?

Seller wants 30% down. Why?

Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes

I put an offer in on a property the other day, the asking price was 360k. I offered 345k with 25% down and a 6 month credit for non paying tenant since eviction courts are closed. Seller countered with he would accept 345k with 30% down and no credit for tenant. I understand the no credit but why would the seller care whether its 25% or 30% down? 

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 91 votes
5y

It could be as simple as they need a specific amount of money for something they have already planned for and the difference between what they have planned happening or not may be that additional $17,250 in the down payment. I haven't been successful at an owner finance yet but I would ask the question of do they have anything in particular they need to money for if it's a huge deal for you and see how you can accommodate them.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 91 votes
    5y

    It could be as simple as they need a specific amount of money for something they have already planned for and the difference between what they have planned happening or not may be that additional $17,250 in the down payment. I haven't been successful at an owner finance yet but I would ask the question of do they have anything in particular they need to money for if it's a huge deal for you and see how you can accommodate them.

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    But this is not owner financed. I am going with a conventional mortgage. Thats why I am confused as to why it would matter. The seller would get the full amount after closing. 

  • Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 91 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt totally misread your post, sorry. Yeah, that one makes absolutely no sense then. Please let me know if you figure out the why the why because thats the first I've heard that one.

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Will do. Hopefully someone on here has an idea, unless the answer really is "who knows" LOL 

  • Specialist · PA · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 71 votes
    5y

    Recently Commercial lenders were asking for 30% at start of COVID. Now some are bank back to 25% already.

    Seller shouldn't care what down-payment your making. May be their deal fell thru in past because buyer couldn't come up with full DP. 

    Can you show them you got 30%? And tell them that you will make minimum DP that the bank would allow.

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Steve, maybe thats what it is. I can show that I have money for down payment. I told them no to their 30% offer and never hear back lol. 

  • Investor · Northern New Jersey · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 96 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt

    Is the seller asking you to out up 30% for earnest money?

    If so I would be gun shy of that since he is pushing for 5% more that will just go in escrow. I try not to put that much down unless it's a killer steal of a deal and I'm showing them I'm very serious. But normally showing them proof of funds will be fine

    Your closing with a conventional loan so I dont get it

    Best of luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt

    I have worked with lenders that do not like seller credits going through escrow, especially when it's a credit to fix something specific. I have seen this with roof issues in particular. A vague seller credit looks too much like a unspecified cash exchange after closing, is how my managing broker phrased it.

    Instead the seller adds the equivalent amount of the asking credit into the buyers down payment. You, buyer, could go from a 25% down payment (all your funds) to a 30% down payment (all your same funds, plus seller funds to equal 30%). The downsize is if you need cash you won't get it. That other option would be to stick with the 25% down and decrease your cash portion and have seller pick up the rest to the equivalent amount of the asking credit.

    I would ask the listing broker to clarify the wording and see if this, or something similar, is what they meant.

    I am a licensed broker in Washington State, other states may have different rules and norms.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    I’ve never had the terms of my mortgage stated in an offer.  It’s always contingent on appraisal and financing, but it’s none of their business how much money I have.

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Ok. So everybody seems to be on the same page as me and sees the asking for 30% down irrelevant since its being conventionally financed. Yes, I do have an agent. My response to her was more money down and no contingency sounded like a terrible counter from the seller, she said ok I will let him know. I never heard back.

  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt

    I would assume Your terms about the tenant were unreasonable to them and that’s why you got the request for the extra down payment .that’s not realistic and the eviction moritorium is just going to be extended anyway into summer . L

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Dennis, I understand them not liking the credit for the tenant. I actually expected them to say no. But the counter of no and higher downpayment just seemed really odd to me.

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt are they selling it themselves or using a realtor? And is it their first time selling a property?

    I wonder if they’re just ill-informed and don’t fully understand the financing process. Very strange nonetheless!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 215 posts · 137 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt

    The only thing that comes to my mind is the odds you get approved will be higher. Do you have a pre approval letter of credit?

    If not, try to get it and show him. Then will have no other reason.

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Yes. I have been approved, realtor saw the letter as that was requirement to view property.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    Commitment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt maybe afraid it won’t appraise?

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Johnathan, maybe not appraising could have something to do with that. I should look into it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    "why would the seller care whether its 25% or 30% down?"

    Have some guys (esp. if lawyers involved) that will not accept a deal "as-is" and want some tweak just for negotiating games.

    Don't ask, I think it's sadistic.  I guess you can always ask.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, NC · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Hedges

    I’m new here but I really like how detailed this was thank you I have to learn about that term “seller credit”

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, NC · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt

    Wow that is odd if you’re pre-approved that’s plenty of credibility with a 25% down payment. It sounds like the seller had an ego-related agenda

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Steve morris, I have no idea what you are saying.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    It commits the buyer

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    My guess is similar to what others said-the seller is confusing down payment with deposit.  As you've not heard back, it may not matter; but if you do make sure you also get the tenant's security deposit transferred to you.  It would have to be a fantastic deal to buy a place where the tenant hasn't paid for 6 months.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Jayson Greenblatt did you turn down their offer or counter back in writing accepting the $345 but keeping down payment at 25%? You could have also countered back with the same $90K down payment, which would have been 26% since the offer price decreased.

    It is anyone's guess why they wanted 30%. It could be that they wanted to ensure you had enough cash for closing. Since most lenders would want 25% down payment, they may have thought the extra 5% would cover closing costs. 

    Maybe a more basic question is why not just agree to the 30%? Assuming you have the money, it is very little added risk and in the end you would get back whatever wasn't needed to close the deal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.