Cash purchase and refinance later vs. finance purchase upfront?

Cash purchase and refinance later vs. finance purchase upfront?

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Bonus depreciation in 2020 is an amazing tax benefit this year. I'm a buying a unit that cashflows well. I have cash for purchase. Here is my question:

Should I pay cash and close before end of 2020 then refi after? Or should I just do a traditional escrow and finance the purchase knowing that it will close in 2021?  

What are the drawbacks of refinancing an after-cash purchase versus just financing from the beginning?

0Reply
31 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bhaskar V.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · North Texas · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Adam

    Are you aware of the 0.5% fees (on loan amount) added to refinance transactions effective 12/1? If you were to refi in 2021, you need to take into account the additional cost. You can claim Bonus depreciation even if you place the asset in service in 2021. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    I was aware.  Does the .5% fee apply only on a refinance? I thought that fee applied to new mortgage/purchases as well???

  • Bhaskar V.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · North Texas · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    It's only for refinance as far as I know
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.