Issue next door to my soon to be rental.

Issue next door to my soon to be rental.

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I recently moved to a home in rural Minnesota and also discovered the Bigger Pockets podcasts. I’m excited to dive into real estate. 

We kept our first home in town with the intention of renting it out for the long term without any real knowledge. I am slowly learning that there is a lot that goes into it. 

I will try to be to the point with my story  

My first big potential issue has come up before even getting my first tenant. The house is a single family home with a single family home on both sides. They are close together with roughly 8 feet between houses. 

Our next door neighbor, who I do have direct contact with, did a contract for deed on his house and moved to another state. The deal fell through after 1-2 months and now the house is essentially abandoned. 

His mortgage is in forbearance for now, but his plan is to let the house go into foreclosure and says he does not care about the effects it will have in his credit. 

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to purchase the house but he unfortunately owes probably double the value of the house. Owes roughy $80k where my estimate is the home is worth $40k. 

He has expressed willingness to work with me on it, but doesn’t seem to understand that it would be foolish of me to overpay. Especially by that much. 

Where do I go from here? An abandoned building right next door cannot be good for a rental property. The idea of having two rentals in the same area is appealing to me as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!


0Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
    5y

    @Matt Stenlund maybe you could talk to the original owner, and work out to buy the house for its appraised value once its taken back in foreclosure. If you want it sooner, maybe you could offer to pay the appraised value to the original owner, and agree to repay the holder of the contract for deed's down payment, which if it were 10% for ex at 80k would be <10k. 

    I currently have a decently performing duplex in an ok ish area that's located right next to a brazenly obvious house of prostitution. My contractor has even been solicited... The owner hasn't wanted to sell. Still trying to figure out what to do. Anyways, my point is it isn't earth shattering, just something to have a plan regarding for the medium to long term. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    How much could he get for rent and maybe you can get a tenant in there and help him with the payments?

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    The owner is who I am in contact with. The other party decided to stop paying him and left the house. They also caused a fair amount of damage to the home so to get a renter in would require several thousand dollars and plenty of time and effort. The owner has made it clear that he is content with “cutting his losses”, meaning the hit on his credit.  He is unwilling to spend another dollar on the house. I hope I am explaining this right. Sorry if it’s confusing! 

  • Needles, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Just a thought, ask the owner to give you permission to speak (via three way call) with the lender of the property. They may be willing to short sale it to you.

    Most lenders would rather not have abandoned properties in their inventory and it might work out for you and the current owner.

    Good luck and let us know if this worked.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Matt Stenlund Doing a short sale is your only avenue....you’ll have to get an experienced short sale agent, the lender will require one, he should know to handle it.  There are some “tricks” involved, with you already identified as the buyer as the bank will require it to be in the mls for 3-5 days before you go under contract.  Also, even if you don’t buy it, this way it will change hands to an investor who’ll rent/manage it.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you all for the replies. A short sale is not something I have come across before but I will be researching it in the morning. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.