Two Scenarios For A Property: BRRRR or Flip, looking for feedback

Two Scenarios For A Property: BRRRR or Flip, looking for feedback

Adam BlevinsPro Member
Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes

BP,

Before I get into this, this scenario and the numbers are hypothetical, though based on numbers I've seen in a market. Assuming the following deal as a BRRRR for buy and hold:

ARV (Based on CMA): $105,000

All In Invested (Rehab/Purchase Price): $65,000

Rent: $900/month

If one decided to flip the above property:

Selling Price: $105,000

All In Invested (Rehab/Purchase Price): $65,000

Closing costs: ~$6,000 (if seller paid all)

Capital Gain Tax: $7,000 (20%ish)

Carrying Costs/Misc: $2,000

Profit: $25,000

Assuming the selling price is close to what the CMA pegged the value at, would this deal make sense from a flip perspective? What am I missing? The reason I ask is that I've heard other investors comment that one shouldn't be trying to do flips right now, and one should be focusing on BRRRR buy and holds, or you'll loose money. That logic doesn't seem to make sense to me if the value of the finished property is the value of the finished property. Don't get me wrong, I'm not decrying anyone that says flips are a bad idea right now, I'm only trying to educate myself and garner some opinions.

This is also setting aside for a moment the long term appreciation of the asset and the passive nature of a rental income stream.

The profit would end up going into the pool to purchase buy and hold properties at some point anyway - just looking at potential options to increase cash reserves. 

So, to reiterate, if you were looking for increased cash reserves, why wouldn't you flip in this case? Is there something about flipping a property that changes the numbers from a BRRRR deal?

Appreciate anyone's feedback.

Best,

Adam

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Charlotte North Carolina · Member since 2020 · 112 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    Flipping in the current market makes sense for the experienced investor with a built-out team who is ready to make an offer the moment the property is listed. For a newer investor with how hot the market is I would shy away from it unless it pencils out to be a home run or you a ready to put in a lot of the work upfront to make it happen (following the correct order of operations). I would also take the seller-paid closing costs out of the equation as well for the underwriting as this would be a big ask in the CLT market. We are almost at a 100% percent list price ratio (people are paying almost list price or higher every time with multiple offers). So if I have 10 offers why would I accept the one that wants me to pay for your closing costs? For flips you need to have your team up and running with your rehab numbers sighted in as the margins right now for flips are not as large as their were in previous years. Be prepared to underwrite multiple deals and track those properties as well to see what is happening after the property is listed. 

    What numbers/ reoccurring expenses are you running for buy and hold? d

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.