Utilizing my 401k with an old employer

Utilizing my 401k with an old employer

Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes

I have a 401k plan with an employer I no longer work for in 3 years. I want to use the funds for my second deal, but I don't want to pay the early withdraw fees, etc. What are my options?

I know I can't take a loan out since I no longer work there... Any recommendations on how to strategically use these funds? Transfer to a ROTH IRA, is an option I was looking into. I would appreciate any feedback and advise.

Thanks

Jon

2Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Jonathan Cevallos @Jaron Walling

Gonna push back on Jaron's sensible post for a bit. It is a different situation if you are investing the money, instead of consuming it to get by then its a math problem. 401Ks etc. gather tax free and thats a powerful factor, but real estate CAN outperform if well done. And current use can be more valuable than future  use.And if you can legitimately use the cares act you don't have a penalty and have a 3 year window to mitigate the tax hit. You can really jumpstart stuff using funds like that.

 Don't be too sure you can't get a loan from your old employers account, or move it to one where you can. I am still doing loans from a 401K from an employer I left 8 years ago--it depends on the plan. Roth's are great, you do have the tax hit on making the transfer but no penalty. 

The loans are so powerful...they helped us by our starter home, and we were able to use one to buy our first investment property which doubled in value. It doesn't show up on your DTI and you pay back the money to yourself.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Cevallos I believe you can also convert the old 401k plan into a Solo401k, one that you control. As long as it's associated with a LLC controlled by you and your spouse. It's subject to the same favorable lending rules and a higher contribution limit than a SD IRA.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L. Thanks, what platform would you recommend for my first SDIRA Acct? Furthermore, how would I go about finding trusted borrowers? What due diligence should I proceed with?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Stone Thanks. What do you mean by contingency on the funds I potentially may be rolling over?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Chris Levarek. Thanks, I definitely looked past the rolling over these funds to my current 401k. I am looking into a custodian for my first SDIRA account. Any recommendations with whom to open this account with? I have about $25k, you think this is enough to start investing in syndications? Where do I start?

    I also have a 401k with my current employee, this is my first time hearing of the Cares Act. Can I message you privately to further discuss this?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jerel Ehlert thanks! I had no idea you had ALL these different options with a SDIRA!

    I was looking into insurance on the side, but didn’t know I can purchase a policy with a SDIRA. Do all insurance companies offer this?

    Can I move funds from my brokerage account to a SDIRA and invest via the SDIRA?

    This got a little overwhelming but I like it lol!

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko

    Thank you. Excuse my ignorance but I’m not sure what you mean by “non-recourse”.

    Regarding the solo 401k... I don't have a business as of now. However, if I create an LLC for property management (once I have 4+ properties), can this qualify for a solo 401k?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Colleen F. Thank you. Any custodians you recommend for a first time SDIRA?

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Matthew Armstrong

    Thanks for your input. Didn't think there was ALL these different routes. Here I was thinking of rolling into a ROTH IRA.

    Do you think $25k is enough to proceed with setting up a "checkbook" controlled IRA? This will now require me to create an LLC... Is this the best route in using the funds for private lending? How do you and your wife find qualified, trusted borrowers? How are ya'll protected?

    Would like to learn more of this strategy, can I send you a private message?

    Thanks

    Jon

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ & NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Tony Stewart thanks. I currently don't have an LLC. The solo 401k would only work if I have a business, correct?

    I was planning on creating one for property management once I’ve reached my 4+ properties.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Cevallos self-directed IRA is what you want

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Jonathon Cevallos

    Yes feel free to reach out. Would be happy to provide and answer any questions. 25k is plenty to get started. I have been part of loans as little as 5k. The LLC is not required but adds convenience (but also cost in setup and maintenance). We use NuviewTrust as our custodian as they are located here in Central Florida. We use a loan servicing company that has a good reputation and they bring together the lenders and borrowers. The loan is protected and backed by the physical property on the loan.

    Send me a PM and we can discuss further. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Cevallos

    "Non-recourse" = no personal guarantee. Property is the only security for the loan. 

    As long as you have legitimate self-employment activity that generated "earned" income - you qualify for truly self-directed Solo 401k plan.

  • Investor · Western suburbs of Chicago · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Cevallos you can set up a company it must be a C corporation and transfer the funds. You basically transfer the money into stocks

  • Jonathan StonePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Cevallos

    By contingency funds I mean cash outside of other investments. Things that can cover you when expenses come that are 100% liquid. The same way you carry some account balance for an emergency in a household budget.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.