New York City - Brooklyn - Midwood - Condo

New York City - Brooklyn - Midwood - Condo

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello All,

I have a condo unit in the Midwood area of Brooklyn, New York. I did not list this on the public market yet. The building is newly developed and still has tax abatement for 10+ years. My tenant has moved out on January 2021 and I have tenants currently interested in renting. I am holding off tenants right now because its vacant and I can do showings easily. The building is fully managed and they have their own real estate agency that help rent our your units. The unit is about 550 sqft, 1 bed and 1 bad. Tenants pay only gas and electric. Water and heating is included. The monthly cost of owning this unit is less than $190 per month for HOA (included your water, heating, and building maintenance) and property tax is almost non-existent due to tax abatement for 10 years. My previous tenant paid $1600+ per month in rent. At the moment my expected tenants are paying $1500 because of the current Covid-19 situation, rent has fallen. Should I keep it or sell it? I am currently thinking about selling it under market value. Let me know what you guys think.

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason LeePro Member
Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
5y

If you want to sell there is no reason to wait. Supply is down and pending sales are up 46% YOY (that's pre-covid). There were more contracts signed last week than any other week going back to May 2016. The market at this price point is hot.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason LeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    Why would you consider selling under market value? We're seeing some bidding wars at lower price points.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Simon May:

    Hello All,

    I have a condo unit in the Midwood area of Brooklyn, New York. I did not list this on the public market yet. The building is newly developed and still has tax abatement for 10+ years. My tenant has moved out on January 2021 and I have tenants currently interested in renting. I am holding off tenants right now because its vacant and I can do showings easily. The building is fully managed and they have their own real estate agency that help rent our your units. The unit is about 550 sqft, 1 bed and 1 bad. Tenants pay only gas and electric. Water and heating is included. The monthly cost of owning this unit is less than $190 per month for HOA (included your water, heating, and building maintenance) and property tax is almost non-existent due to tax abatement for 10 years. My previous tenant paid $1600+ per month in rent. At the moment my expected tenants are paying $1500 because of the current Covid-19 situation, rent has fallen. Should I keep it or sell it? I am currently thinking about selling it under market value. Let me know what you guys think.

    Hey Simon,

    What are you looking to do in the next 3-5 years with respect to REI?

    I would make sure your next move (find tenant or Sell) falls in line with your future REI plans. There are closing costs to consider if you do sell so I'd also take that into consideration so that you have an estimated take-home amount before putting it up for sale.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2008 · 92 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    If you HAVE to sell, then do it. Otherwise, you should hold it until the market picks up again. I'd wait a few years; the market for condos will be better and there will still be value for a buyer with the tax abatement.

  • Jason LeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    If you want to sell there is no reason to wait. Supply is down and pending sales are up 46% YOY (that's pre-covid). There were more contracts signed last week than any other week going back to May 2016. The market at this price point is hot.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 819 posts · 641 votes
    5y

    All depends on how effectively you can deploy capital - if you can generate higher returns taking the price hit into account, then go for it. If not, why liquidate and deal with transaction costs. 

    Really a matter of what your next opportunity is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.