FHA vs Conventional Pros/Cons and Curiosities/Questions

FHA vs Conventional Pros/Cons and Curiosities/Questions

Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 22 votes

Hey guys, I got a few different questions and curiosities here, so I'm just going to lay them out and hope for as much insight as possible.

I have low capital right now, especially in my Connecticut market, this isn't the mid-west for me. But I can't stand to wait any longer to get into the investing game, so I've put my foot down and decided to contact some agents (whom I've found through BP) and find a multi-family around me that I can house-hack. Live in one unit and hopefully eliminate my expenses from renting out the other unit, or at least make my contribution of the monthly payments go towards principal, which is a huge win over my current $1600 rental payments I'm making right now going straight down the toilet. This will be my first home purchase.

My questions are regarding loan advantage and possibility for my circumstance and goals, specifically between FHA and Conventional (but please give me all things to consider when responding).


I have been thinking this whole time that my options were going to be limited to an FHA due to my unfortunate lack of capital. But in speaking with an investor friendly agent in my area, he told me its possible to obtain conventional with 5% down. First off, in terms of requirements and where to look for this 5% down conventional loan, what are we talking? I believe I've read that my rate would likely be much higher, though I do understand that the rate isn't the only thing affecting my monthly payment, as going with an FHA comes with other fees that often get rolled into the loan anyway to increase the payments.


In regards to FHA, with the closing costs and mortgage insurance that is charged, if/when a borrower is able to roll those costs into the loan, does this allow for a larger interest deduction come tax season? Just want to be aware for best possible considerations.

-- Lastly, does anyone have any insight on how lenders are currently treating individuals who have been out of work and have lower reported income due to covid? I was out of work for a while, but since have obtained new full-time employment and have been full time for 8 months, with no intentions on both employee/employer side of employment ending any time soon).And I guess, do these guidelines differ between FHA and conventional? -- The side note to this, is that if needed, I MAY be able to get a family figure to co-sign on something, and I'm also interested in hearing from others on the benefits that provides, if any really.

I know I've dropped a lot to talk about, and am looking forward to responses in all directions.


Thanks,

Ryan Newport.

2Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Windsor Locks · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 21 votes
5y

 Hey Ryan! Welcome to the lovely state of "Tax!" I mean Connnecticut.

This may be off topic but I'm currently experiencing your same situation. Looking to buy my first property. My girlfriend and I are leaning towards single families or smaller multi's due to our limited down payment capital. We're trying to make our offers an appealing as possible however we're still getting outbid left and right. As @Michael Noto stated, sellers seem to turn their noses at FHA and USDA currently. Most sellers want a quick sale and don't want to deal with any of the quirks that come with government financing. Any decently priced property in CT is being swarmed with offers and you should expect a bidding war. You will have the most "buying power" with a conventional loan and you can go as low as 3%. If you're trying to compete your best bet will be with a conventional loan or cash offer.
I can put you in touch with the loan officer that I'm currently using. She's patient and has been amazing with explaining things to me. 

P.S My girlfriend was out of work for 8-9 months due to covid as well. At the time she has just picked up a part time job and had only been working at it for a few weeks when the pre-qual process started. The lender just asked a few questions about it and it didn't seem to delay or make the process any harder.

I know this didn't exactly answer your questions but I hopped this helped a little!

Feel free to reach out if you want to chat.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Sit down with a recommended loan officer. 5% down conventional is only available for a single family home. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Ryan Newport There are a couple lenders here in CT that will do 5% down on duplexes along with single families on conventional loans. They still require a year of owner occupying with a lot of the provisions of FHA from that standpoint.

    Benefit with them is a conventional offer looks a lot more favorable to a seller and is perceived by them as a clearer path to close. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor Locks · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 21 votes
    5y

     Hey Ryan! Welcome to the lovely state of "Tax!" I mean Connnecticut.

    This may be off topic but I'm currently experiencing your same situation. Looking to buy my first property. My girlfriend and I are leaning towards single families or smaller multi's due to our limited down payment capital. We're trying to make our offers an appealing as possible however we're still getting outbid left and right. As @Michael Noto stated, sellers seem to turn their noses at FHA and USDA currently. Most sellers want a quick sale and don't want to deal with any of the quirks that come with government financing. Any decently priced property in CT is being swarmed with offers and you should expect a bidding war. You will have the most "buying power" with a conventional loan and you can go as low as 3%. If you're trying to compete your best bet will be with a conventional loan or cash offer.
    I can put you in touch with the loan officer that I'm currently using. She's patient and has been amazing with explaining things to me. 

    P.S My girlfriend was out of work for 8-9 months due to covid as well. At the time she has just picked up a part time job and had only been working at it for a few weeks when the pre-qual process started. The lender just asked a few questions about it and it didn't seem to delay or make the process any harder.

    I know this didn't exactly answer your questions but I hopped this helped a little!

    Feel free to reach out if you want to chat.

  • Lender · Cheshire, CT · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Newport there are programs as @Michael Noto stated that allow for low down payments, but will include mortgage insurance, so make sure to include that in your budget! Also be careful of income limits, certain loans have program limits based on income that can unqualify you for the program and lead to very awkward situations if you make an offer only to find out you can't get funding. 

    But to get in depth on this and discuss any sort on loan specifics you'll need to speak with a lender and get into the weeds on your circumstances. If you want to talk please reach out, I'd love to help clarify any lending questions you have.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Ryan Newport, This is less about the lending side: a loan broker/mortgage officer will be your best resource.  Call banks, ask to talk to a mortgage officer and let them know your situation, they will likely have various options for you.  

    If you employment is W2 based, you are probably fine with recent W2s, but again a loan officer would be able to assist you with this.

    Now onto FHA vs conventional: as an owner, I do not accept offers with FHA financing. On my flips, it means a second mortgage. On all properties, it means FHA inspections which could uncover issues I didn't know about and now need to disclose to other buyers. I also want to see offers from buyers with the MOST financial wherewithal. Even 5% down relative to 3.5% means that this buyer has more available cash should inspection issues arise, or an appraisal comes in short. Of course I prefer 20% down, and have accepted offers for $5k less than highest because of a 20% down vs 5% down. For this reason alone, if you can go conventional, even with a low down payment, I would steer you that way, as the owners will likely view your offer more favorably off the bat.

  • Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Samuel Whelan Thanks for the reply. I think getting a conventional loan would be great, given that I've been told a few times over now from different sources how competitive the market is, and having every little thing on my side helps. I unfortunately just don't have the capital to go much more than 5% down. The MPI isn't so frightening to me because at least that eventually goes away, while the FHA will carry an insurance premium for the life of the loan, right?

    I've been swamped with crazy 11/12 hour work days this whole past week, but I'm looking at getting pre-qual/pre-approved over next few days. @Evan Polaski like you suggested, I arranged a number of calls for Sunday and Monday for me to ask questions from sources and learn and compile more information. I'll update here and come back with more questions probably, lol. Thanks all 

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Ryan Newport I'm excited to see the amount of feedback you are getting on this post. It's great to see other members contributing so freely. There's a lot of great advice here, and some not so great. Most of your questions will be best answered by qualified lending professionals familiar with the CT market. I recommend Mike Boscarino with Boscoloans, Kit Crowne with Right Trac Financial Group, and John Krause with Horizon Home Mortgage. 

  • Lender · Cheshire, CT · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Newport Correct, FHA MI remains until you pay off the note in its entirety or until you refi out. We have used a program before with our clients that is for 5% down, but is income restricted as I believe I mentioned above. Once you know about a mortgage product that seems to fit your plan, it just comes down to meeting with a loan originator and going through your specific situation to see if you qualify.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.