Downpayment Source with Crypto?

Downpayment Source with Crypto?

Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes

Hello!

Just wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone had sourced some or all of their down payment funds from cryptocurrency (bitcoin, ether, ltc). As you may know there has been an explosion in prices recently and I would love to purchase another property using some of these funds. Has anyone had any luck with this? Would love to hear your story!

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Andres Vanegas:

@Taylor L. - yep that is the plan! In my initial property purchases I have had to source where the down payment funds have come from. Since it would be coming from a crypto exchange (Gemini, Coinbase, Kraken) - services which may not be typical for a traditional bank, I was hoping to catch someone that had had some experience doing so and see if there were actual issues or not. I hope that makes sense.

 One option might be is to take a loan out it to skip the tax hit. You can get upto 50% or so. Good luck! 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Why not just sell the crypto and use the cash for your downpayment, if that's the plan?

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L. - yep that is the plan! In my initial property purchases I have had to source where the down payment funds have come from. Since it would be coming from a crypto exchange (Gemini, Coinbase, Kraken) - services which may not be typical for a traditional bank, I was hoping to catch someone that had had some experience doing so and see if there were actual issues or not. I hope that makes sense.

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 440 posts · 256 votes
    5y

    @Andres Vanegas If you've seen some of the gains that the overall Crypto market has in recent months, you'll definitely want to keep that tax bill in the back of your mind. 
    That said, if it's converted to cash, I don't foresee any issues for qualification. If anything, just let the cash season in your savings account for a few months. 
    All that said, probably best to find a lender you want to do business with, and consult with them. Every underwrite situation might have different quirks. Unfortunately, I don't have any NY lenders in my network, but I'm sure you can find a great option right here on BP. Best of luck! 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andres Vanegas:

    @Taylor L. - yep that is the plan! In my initial property purchases I have had to source where the down payment funds have come from. Since it would be coming from a crypto exchange (Gemini, Coinbase, Kraken) - services which may not be typical for a traditional bank, I was hoping to catch someone that had had some experience doing so and see if there were actual issues or not. I hope that makes sense.

     One option might be is to take a loan out it to skip the tax hit. You can get upto 50% or so. Good luck! 

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Matt R. What service? Coinbase does that for BTC at 8% interest only for a year. Not familiar with any others.

    I think the bank may have some more trouble with that no? Maybe since it is an asset secured loan they may let it fly.

    60 day seasoning of cash in the bank seems the safest route at the moment. Even though it is fairly straight forward to demonstrate custody through Coinbase now. It also brings a sense of legitimatcy now that they are public.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andres Vanegas:

    @Matt R. What service? Coinbase does that for BTC at 8% interest only for a year. Not familiar with any others.

    I think the bank may have some more trouble with that no? Maybe since it is an asset secured loan they may let it fly.

    60 day seasoning of cash in the bank seems the safest route at the moment. Even though it is fairly straight forward to demonstrate custody through Coinbase now. It also brings a sense of legitimatcy now that they are public.

    There are several doing the loans. Check a few perhaps. Nexo is one. No seasoning required. Good luck. 

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    Caught this on market watch - looks like it is happening to some extent -

    https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/this-software-engineer-used-cryptocurrency-to-buy-his-dream-home-but-the-process-wasnt-entirely-straightforward-11619662003

  • Rental Property Investor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Andres Vanegas I actually did this with a local credit union and had no issues. They however would not use my unsold crypto reserve funds

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Patrick McGuffey awesome! What documents did they request? Did you mention it was crypto at first and was their any additional back and forth from the usual conversations?
     Did they want to see your cash going into the crypto exchange account? Did you ever take your funds off the exchange into cold storage or another exchange? 

    Any details would really help!

  • Rental Property Investor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Andres Vanegas I never actually mentioned that it was crypto with the credit union. I just moved the money and used it as a down payment. I never took it off the exchange though. I was using Voyager to buy and sell and did run into an issue with trying to get any documentation reflecting my crypto assets. (They have no customer service line only online ticket submission) Quicken loans asked for documentation, they were the first lender I was working with. I did let the local credit union that a large portion of my reserve funds were in crypto and they would not allow me to use it as reserve. Had to use my 401k instead. Every bank seems a bit different so it might be a little trial and error

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Patrick McGuffey seems like it is really lender to lender with how they source downpayment? Off crypto topic- was the rate better or worse for quicken v. your credit union? Also you mention reserves, was this an investment mortgage?

  • Investor · OAK BROOK, IL · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    @Andres Vanegas have you looked into depositing some of your crypto with BlockFi or similar service and then borrowing against it?  That way you would not need to sell and take a gain and you would still have your crypto as it increases in value.

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Michael Flight I think at the moment I’m less concerned with gains tax and have a greater concern around just being able to explain what’s going on to the fine folks at the bank! I may go the route of placing some of my BTC with Blockfolio for a loan though so I can play with the rest in DeFi. Clocks ticking and I’m almost ready to make a move.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Andres Vanegas the credit union was better in pretty much every way. This was a conventional loan to house hack a duplex. Reserves are just the cash I have in backup. Idk why they required it or if that is normal

  • Matthew BrillPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 234 posts · 103 votes
    5y

    I would take the loan with Blockfi or similar. No tax hit and you can stay long your crypto (but will have an interest payment). As previously mentioned, when getting the crypto loan if you have it sit in your checking/savings account for 3 months+ then you won't have to source the money (the lender will ask for your 2 most recent bank account statements for underwriting).

  • Westbury, NY · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 37 votes
    4y

    Update: Closed a couple of days ago, most of the downpayment was funds from a BlockFi loan. 

    It's possible folks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.