Flipping in a new market! Raleigh NC

Flipping in a new market! Raleigh NC

Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes

I currently have two properties I acquired that are currently undergoing renovations (I'm a licensed General contractor). I specialize in flipping homes, I usually invest in homes around Fayetteville NC where I moved away from. Raleigh has become one of the best and hottest markets in the US right now so it's a great time to sell.

I'd like to take you on this journey with me to talk the numbers, how I found the deal, what went wrong, did I stay within my estimated budget and what the end result will be.

Attached below is the link to see the 3D imaging of the home.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=eCbBcwVJjqS

So first off many probably are wondering "Patrick are you rolling in the dough and you bought it out right, or did you use leverage?"

With this deal and like many I used hard money lending. I find it to work well with my investments being I plan to have enough meat on the bone to not stress about losing 10k in profits. This allows me to focus my funding on more than one deal at a time.

Deal one

Purchase price is 235k

Rehab budget originally was set for about 20k

ARV/Comps show I should with the market today be able to get 330k when flipped correctly.

Deal two:

Purchase price 200k

Rehab budget 25k

ARV/comps $299k

I have currently started already on deal one and writing for owner to move out"lease back" on deal 2.

While waiting for the renter to move out on deal one, we focused on painting the brick and get the landscaping in order. Boy did I really **** my self over on the landscaping budget. All I could think was how I needed to be just as nice as the next door house, which was sold by a homeowner who way over did it. The issue I have is that it sold 6 months prior to me starting work and sold for 281k which is 50k less. The market has changed quite a bit since December as we all know. So I went 5k over budget "rookie move".

We are now in the phase of tear out and prep. Do ill keep you posted!

5Reply
39 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Santa Ana, CA · Member since 2014 · 131 posts · 111 votes
    5y

    Hi Patrick.  We can all learn from each other’s success and challenges. In my real estate career I have found the challenges to be the best teacher.  Please keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the opportunity to learn.

  • Real Estate Agent · Holly Springs, NC · Member since 2020 · 169 posts · 161 votes
    5y

    @Patrick Knapp

    I appreciate the post. Awesome to see local deals happening.

    If you don’t mind, I’m curious.

    How did you find those deals?

    Market or Off-Market?

    Awesome work and good luck on future endeavors!

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    5y

    @Shane Lafleur great question. I found this on zillow, it was a FSBO

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    5y

    Update on deal 1

    We are over budget lol estimate about 10k over being we are adding a shower where the laundry was and now re doing the kitchen cabinets since we are now adding the Washer dryer in the kitchen area. Even though this sucks my team( wife and realtor) believe this will be best which I agree since we are asking top of the market pricing and expect an above asking offer with how we have seen it been.

    Painting crew used Valpar paint instead of Sherman Williams brand like we talked about and color is way off so they are coming out of pocket and having to repaint the walls.

    So far so good, only crummy thing is I have to assemble these cabinets being the shop is backed up by 5 weeks so I guess I have to work a little.

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    5y

    So update we went live and boy does it suck! It’s like the market just fell off the earth over here

    Either we are priced to high at 350k or because everyone is trying to go on vacation being it’s last week before school starts. Anyone else seeing these issues in the market right now?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.