Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Gina Qing
Votes |
Property title implications

Gina Qing
Posted Aug 4 2021, 15:32

Hello community friends, I am debating on how to hold the titles to the two properties that are under contract, given some future implication and changing financial situation in our household. There are lot of my own assumptions below, so please bear with my explanation and please feel free to correct me and your advice would be much appreciated. 

Currently, I'm a W-2 earner, and can get qualified to obtain mortgage myself to purchase two properties without adding my husband as co-signer, in which case, I will be the only owner of the titles to the properties. However, since I will become self-employed in the next year or so. In an event when I am ready for 1031 exchange the properties, my understanding is new properties have to be held in the same title, which I assumes I would be the only one who would need to obtain the new mortgage for the new properties. But being self-employed, my concern is that it would be very hard for me to get qualified for mortgage in future.  So, I am debating, maybe I should have both my name and my husband name on the titles, despite he also needs to be the co-signer of the mortgage for these two properties now, in order for us to be able to obtain finance in event of 1031, with me being self-employed in future?

Your expertise and suggestion would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Best Regards

Gina Q.

Loading replies...