Moving to New York, what to do?

Moving to New York, what to do?

Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes

Hi All! I'm moving to new york, however, I still have a solid salary come in from my home state texas. I want my income to be tax free from texas but live in New york, how can I do that? I read something about an 183 day rule? 

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    @Mike Rodriguez, yes you cannot spend more more than 182 in NYC. If you do, New York becomes your primary residency. 

    Do you plan to maintain a residency in Texas while living here as well?  

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Alexander Szikla Isn't that what most snowbirds do? They have a residence in a tax free state? 

    My primary home is in texas and my salary comes from Texas, if I live in NYC do I need to pay the tax rate of new york? 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    Yes, they usually own or rent (and can produce lease) in the other state. 

    Typically, income generated in NYC is taxed in NYC. 

    If you have a property in Texas and do not overstay, you should be fine. But questions may arise. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.