Should I sell my Condo on 1031 or no??

Should I sell my Condo on 1031 or no??

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hello, I have a condo in the Newark CA area which is about 15 min from Silicon Valley.  I've owned it for 22yrs and been a rental now for 17yrs.  I have about $250K in equity and the rent is a wash compared to my obligation.  So, I wanted to get others opinions on whether or not I should consider a 1031 and use that $250K to purchase another rental or tow or three  that I could get probably get to cash flow between $1K - $1500/mo compare to no cash flow at the moment??  Thanks in advance. 

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    It's all about what your goals are. If you're looking for cash flow than 1031 exchanging into a cash flowing property is definitely the way to go. I can only speak for myself, but I've helped a number of people 1031 into passive deals providing 1+% a month. So it'd be more like $2500/month or more. But if you're looking for a more hands on investment, particularly in CA, not sure what's realistic.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Brad Louden, 

    Keep your eye on depreciation as well.   You've got another 10 years or so left on the depreciation cycle on that property.  But a 1031 into several properties using the proceeds as down payments would greatly increase your depreciable basis.  And that translates into real dollars in your pocket at the end of the year.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
    • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Dave Foster:

      @Brad Louden, 

      Keep your eye on depreciation as well.   You've got another 10 years or so left on the depreciation cycle on that property.  But a 1031 into several properties using the proceeds as down payments would greatly increase your depreciable basis.  And that translates into real dollars in your pocket at the end of the year.

      Thank you Dave, I greatly appreciate your quick response.  I need to do further research of course on things like what type of properties I can purchase on a potential 1031 etc..  Do you have a good resource page I could go to in order to further understand this? 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Brad Louden, Any type of investment real estate can be exchanged for any other type of real estate as long as you intend to use it for investment.  Residential to commercial, raw land to industrial, long term to short term residential.  As long as it is investment real estate it works.

    We've connected and my contact info has further resources and videos for you.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.